asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 6 months ago

In the 1950s , most women stayed home and took care of the kids while their husband worked a stable job?

and now? two parents work 1 or even 2 jobs to have similar lifestyle,

meanwhile in RICH neighborhoods, people in their 30s and 40s are pretty much set up to be retired already, living in a nice sized home in a rich neighborhood, spend most of their time playing with their spoiled brat kids and their family dog?

why this has happened?

Update:

********Reagan? I thought it started with Robert Kennedy going after the trucker union with prosecuting Jimmy Hoffa on some fraud indictments**************

Update 2:

I think by Nixon's time though it had become so deregulated and corrupt that the markets were manipulated to screw the middle class and just kept on screwing them right up till now. especially with letting all the third world illegals in to work half price or less!

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

In the 1950's and before, a female was pretty much expected to marry right out of high school, or maybe work for a year and then marry, or maybe (even weirder) to enter college to find the "right man" and then marry. The major expectation was marriage and the purpose was to have children.

Then, in the 60's women started the fight for equal rights in all things, including the right put off marriage until they wanted to as well as to to be employed outside the home EVEN after having children. This allowed 2 parent families to "have more stuff" because instead of only one income, there were now 2 incomes. I am a child of the 50's. My mom started to work outside our home when I was about 7 years old. My 2 older sisters had the responsibility of watching out for me. Because Mom worked, we were able to buy more stuff (an additional car (never new)), nicer clothes and we moved and got a bigger house.

By the time I got married, it was considered uncommon for a woman to 1) have children right away (she was expected to want a career and a child would interfere), 2) to stop working IF she had children. It was considered normal to pop out the child and be back at work in 6 to 8 weeks, with the kid placed with a family member if they were available OR in a child care facility (which was UNHEARD of in the 1950's!

Fast forward to the 2000's and such.... it is considered normal for a female to either 1) go to college after high school, or 2) go in the military after high school, or 3) get a job and work after high school. There is no expectation that a woman gets married anymore. There is no expectation that a marriage will LAST anymore either.

• lowlevel
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Most marriages stayed together in the 1950s because religion and society forbade divorce and women couldn’t make a living and care for children on their own. More than a few women bore abuse from husbands and hid their alcoholism or diazepam addictions.

• 6 months ago

Factories and jobs post ww2 era

War boosts the economy

• Piero
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

i remember in the 1950s that women got beat up a lot. Every one asked "what did SHE do to DESERVE that!" Most of my friend's mothers were closet alcoholics. Stable my@$$!

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You VASTLY underestimate how much time at work it takes to maintain the kind of wealth you're talking about. Until you have to pay a 5K+ mortgage every month, tens of thousands in tax and 30K per kid per year for school you have no idea how people in "rich" neighborhoods live. I live in such a neighborhood and I don't know a single adult neighbor who isn't putting in at least 60+ hours per week of paid labor. But the reason it takes most households two breadwinners these days is because wages/salaries haven't kept pace with inflation since the 1970's.

• Tina
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

How do you know you see parents outside playing with the dog etc, and not older teenage boys?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Inflation and Globalism

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Elite using mass immigration to drive down wages. Transferring wealth to the upper class. Been happening ever since the 1965 Immigration Act.

• 6 months ago

At the end of WWII every other industrial country had been bombed back not to the Stone Age but to a pre-industrial age. England, Germany, France, Japan, Italy, etc. had all their industrial capacity bombed into smoking ruins and the US emerged with like 90% of the world's industrial capacity. For the next 15 or 20 years they were all rebuilding (with our help). In those days, a man with a high school education could earn enough to buy a house and two cars, to keep a wife and 2.3 children and put them through college.

Where this actually ended was the Nixon Recession at the end of the Vietnam War. We were spending money like water on the war and that stimulated the economy, so when we ended it there was a recession. And just about the same time we had the 'Gas Shocks' that tripled the price of gas, and made everything more expensive that was shipped by truck--which in the US is just about everything. That double-whammy kept us in a recession throughout the rest of the Nixon/Ford/Carter years. Reagan pulled us out of it by tripling the national debt!

From that point on, the 'new' economy was all about concentrating wealth. Starting with Reagan's 'tax cuts across the board' that went overwhelmingly to the top 1%, to Trump's 'draining the swamp' by filling his cabinet with lobbyists and insisting he personally didn't make anything from the massive tax cuts for the super-rich.

• 6 months agoReport

yeah! Trump is a con artist. He is so old he will die soon, and will be happy looking back at what? what a p.o.s.!

• 6 months ago

In 1960, my dad was 20 years into his career as middle management with one company, made $25K, was building a custom home in midwest large town for $38K, drove a $2200 and a $3000 car, mom stayed home, and I was off to college where expenses were $5K a year.

Now, the two salaries of $85K to $120K total is used to buy a $800K home, a $42K and a $50K car, both parents working, kid going to college for $45K a year if lucky.

In almost 60 years, salaries have gone up only 3X per person, while inflation has made prices for housing, autos and college go up by 20X to 15X to 10X. Loans and inheriting something from parents make up the shortfall.

Seem simple enough.

Source(s): Lived it, studied Economics, worked decades at average middle class wages. Would not be able to retire without inheriting a lot.
    • 6 months agoReport

just print that money! slap that Azz!

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Because boomers happened. They ruined the housing market, ruined the whole economy, ruined the whole nation, and ruined the entire world. They have single handedly caused irreparable damage to the environment - all for their own personal gain and nothing else. Back when they were just becoming adults there was infinite job creation, $5 cars, $10 full college education, and $20 mansions. Now that the newer generations have grown up they already planned ways to keep all the wealth and jobs for themselves. They simply don't care about future generations which is why they destroyed the environment with no second thought. These morons are the same ones that decide all the laws yet can't even operate basic electrical technology. Boomers are just pure cancer and the world will become much better when they all die off.

• Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

It does make sense once you understand that boomers are the greediest and most selfish demographic to ever exist. That, or you have no understanding of how an economy works.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

The minimum wage has not been raised. Corporations started busting unions following the lead of Reagan who fired the Air Traffic controllers for striking. America has become more fascist since the 1980s. Low skill highly paid jobs have been outsourced to China, Mexico and other countries. As a result, many unskilled workers have little bargaining power and they have to work for peanuts.

The wealth gap has widened further when George W kept cutting taxes, including capital gains tax. Those who have money can make more money simply by playing the stock market.

• 6 months agoReport

"Playing the stock market"? you mean "gambling" ? I don't see the difference . the ones controlling the BIG MONEY are going to make sure everyone else loses enough to make them even more money?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.