Mezzo Viola asked in HealthDental · 6 months ago

My gums are rotting and my mom won t let me see a dentist. What do I do?

Ok here s the story. I was staying at my grandpa s house while my mom was in the hospital. I had brought everything I needed. Extra clothes, pajamas, my drawing supplies, my medicine, and my toothbrush and toothpaste. I must ve accidentally left my toothbrush and toothpaste there. It s been a week and I still haven t gotten a chance to go back there. My mom can t drive since she just got out of the hospital, and she refused to call anyone to take me there. I noticed that my gums are rotting and bleeding because I haven t brushed my teeth. I knew I was screwed, because gums can t grow back! I begged my mom to see if someone can take me to the dentist. She makes up excuses like "Oops, I forgot. I ll do it tomorrow!" every day. I don t know what to do at this point. She won t take me to a dentist, and she won t call anyone else, and I left my toothbrush and toothpaste at my grandpa s house, so what do I do?

Not brushing your teeth for over a week is a cause for concern. I suggest explaining the situation to a trusted friend or family member and ask if they can help with a spare toothbrush/toothpaste. If you are in school then you need to tell your teacher. Explain the situation and that you are worried about your oral hygiene and your gums are bleeding. They might be able to help you get a tooth brush and toothpaste.

• GEEGEE

Surely there is a store that you can get to, to buy new dental product. The total cost should be $5 or less. Ask you mother if she has an extra toothbrush and paste for you.

Why didn't you just buy another toothbrush and toothpaste? I am sure there is a store you can buy one cheap and probably within a mile walking distance.

• Rick

< It s been a week >

< I noticed that my gums are rotting and bleeding >

BS

You can use a wash cloth to rub your teeth until you get a toothbrush

Isn't there a store that you can walk to to get a toothbrush. Dollar tree has nice ones for a dollar

If your teeth are getting sensitive, gargle with some baking soda.

A toothbrush only lasts 2-3 months, so it's always a good idea to have a spare.

• A Hunch

I know. She sounds young and sheltered. I was trying to push her to take some action instead of calling her out on her lack of problem solving capabilities.

Buy a new toothbrush and toothpaste somewhere else. You can find toothbrushes at convenience stores, grocery stores, pretty much any general store. Just start with brushing your teeth and rinsing with alcohol mouthwash, and your gums will probably repair themselves if it's only been a week. Go to a store as soon as you can to get a new toothbrush because it'll take too long to go back to your grandpa's house. If you feel you really do need a dentist appointment, show your mom your gums and tell her the longer she waits to make an appointment the larger the bill will be for dental care. If she still refuses, call somebody yourself to make an appointment. Try any relatives you have, such as your grandpa or your dad.