Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

What age is SAFE to spay a cat?

Our cat is really really young, we need the vet to confirm but we don’t think she’s very old.

Most of what I’m reading says to do incredibly young, but I thought you weren’t supposed to spay animals young?

With my dog, I allowed her to have 2 heats so she could hit maturity before spaying her at 18 months

We think maybe this cat is 7 weeks old max. She was pushed on us, we think she’s better off here than anywhere else this young. The woman really wanted her gone.

I’m trying to create a timeline of what each of my vet visits entail.

What is the correct age? NOT the SPCA age.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Ocimom
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Dogs are different then cats. Cats should be neutered/spayed between 3-4 months old. Some vets won't do it till 6 months old, but sadly female kittens can have their first heat cycle 4-6 months old and end up pregnant. Find a vet to do it at 3-4 months old.

Kittens bounce back faster with early spay/neuter then when older.

• Ocimom
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

When I was breeding my Ocicats, I had to find a vet to do the kittens by 4 months old and before they went to new homes. Also by that time they also have all shots including rabies shot. Start your kitten on shots if 7-8 weeks old.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

7 months or 6 months. If you want to be sure ask your vet. INSTEAD OF ASKING A BUNCH OF RANDOM STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET

• OogieBoogie6 months agoReport

My vet said 8 weeks. No thank you, but please keep telling me what to do.

• 6 months ago

Cats can go into heat as early as 4 months old, and they aren't at risk (as far as we know) for complications later in life due to pediatric spays and neuters like large-breed dogs are.

I had my two spayed at exactly 4 months old because they were going into heat and I recognized it early (most vets won't spay if they're in heat because their blood vessels are enlarged and it's more complicated and riskier for the animal) and didn't want them going through a cycle.

You don't want them going through a cycle as they then have a higher chance of mammary cancer later in life. I would get them spayed at around 16 weeks old. My cats were honestly trying to run around the next day (I kept them as calm as I could and confined to one room).

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

No.Wait. Talk to a vet. If he's honest, he'll recommend an appropriate age.

• Ocimom
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Our vet wants them to be about 4 pounds before she spays/neuters. Rule of thumb is about a pound per month of age - she should be closer to 2 pounds if she is about 8 weeks old.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

8 weeks is the earliest. 12 to 16 weeks is the norm for rescue cats.

What about cats who arent at risk for pregnancy and have a stable home?

• Eva
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You want to have them spayed BEFORE they go into heat the first time. You waited too long with your dog. Doing them before they are sexually mature makes for an easier surgery, with less blood loss, and quicker healing. They do them quite early now, but 5 months of age is usually a good time.

My dog healed very fast. Fun fact: Mature spays are $300 cheaper.

• 6 months ago

She can be spayed at 6 weeks of age. At six months or so she will get her first heat. Spaying before then is the best.

• magix151
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Some vets will do it at 6 weeks, some say 3-4 months. If you can, do it as early as possible. But check with your vet. That's always best.

• 6 months ago

We’ve always done it once they hit a set weight rather than an age.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You have a female spayed at about 4 months old, before she comes into heat, and do not take any notice of ignorant people who say let her have a litter first, that is rubbish, thousands of unwanted kittens are killed each year, do not add to the problem.

I don’t breed cats. She was semi feral, and given to us by a lady struggling to rehome them. My male who is 6, is neutered.

• 6 months ago

I suppose there are different opinions on this. I would say 5 or 6 months. Cats don't have seasonal heats like dogs do; when a cat goes into heat, she seems to stay in heat forever, or maybe she cycles rapidly - it's a constant annoyance until she is spayed or becomes pregnant.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.