Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 6 months ago

are domestic dogs omnivores or carnivores?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Domestic dogs are omnivores , they can get nutrients from both and vets and scientists say that although vegetation is not needed in your dogs diet , it doesn’t hurt them and in fact it makes them healthier to eat both meats and vegetation , however I would consider dogs to be much more on the carnivore side than on the herbivore side.

• 6 months ago

Domestic dogs were selectively bred from their carnivorous ancestors to eat the scraps of their omnivorous human owners.

So they are omnivores. But they are not obligate omnivores and can survive perfectly well on a totally carnivorous diet, although even wolves are healthiest when they eat some plant material.

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

They are omnivorous, getting much of their plant matter from the stomachs of their prey. Look at a can of dog food, specifically at the list of ingredients. Lots of plant matter in there. When I make up dog food for my beasts, I use an approximate ratio of 4 parts meat, 4 parts grain, and 3 parts vegetables. They love it.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

All dogs are carnivores, although they do eat some plant food. Dangerous dogs are bred for their tendency to attack. They have the heightened instinct to kill. Other dogs, such as golden retrievers, have a reduced instinct of attacking, but they have a heightened instinct to fetch and retrieve prey. Border collies, in contrast, have heightened instincts to stalk but they have no desire to retrieve or attack.

The wolf ancestor of the dog is a predator, and predators have instincts to stalk, attack and retrieve prey. All 3 types of behavior are needed for a predator to survive in the wild. If we put a border collie in the wild, it will starve to death because it will spend all day stalking animals without killing any. Same thing with attack dogs. They may keep killing but they may not know that they need to eat what they kill. A golden retriever may spend all day looking for things to retrieve but it may not stalk or kill prey.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

dogs are omnivores according to natonial geographic , i think they are right ,dogs are omnivores , like omnivores, fall somewhere in between, with an intestinal length just slightly longer than the cat, so it makes sense that dogs might be classified as omnivorous , however dogs are more carnivorus than herbivorus by far , meaning they resemble carnivores a lot more than herbivores.

Lv 7
    6 months ago

There's actually a recent debate about that:

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/are-dogs-...

But they are usually considered carnivores.

• 6 months ago

Die on the floor with your dog standing next to you in your locked house and find out.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.