What are your thoughts on this photograph?

Attachment image

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Frank
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It's an automatic delete. Why? Well, for one thing the sky is blown out. You never EVER want blown-skies in your shots. Cover them up by juxtaposing an element over it. Maybe change your angle or perspective so that the sky is no longer in the shot. Or maybe you just do not take the shot because you know that a blown-out sky will completely kill the shot.

I would have taken the shot at a much higher angle. This would have achieved a few things. First, I would have been able to avoid having a blown-out sky in the shot. Instead, I'd have the desert as a background which infinitely more interesting than a blown-out sky. Second, I would have been able to set up the composition so that the bird wasn't obscured by the bird. Thirdly, at a higher position, the camera would have been at eye level with the bird, which might create a better perspective as opposed to looking up at the bird.

The cactus is a cool looking plant as is the bird. However the parts of the cactus are very busy which make for a messy composition. Furthermore, the bird is being obscured by the cactus.

On a technical level, the cactus in the foreground is out of focus. Either use a larger aperture to completely blow it out of focus or use a smaller aperture to get it all in focus. What you absolutely do not want to do is to go part way because it looks like a mistake as it does here in this shot.

You should have also used fill flash which would have added catch light in the bird's eye. Catch light will add an enormous amount of life to the animal as opposed to have a dead, black eyeball.

You chose to shoot at a very nice time of the day. The golden hour light is really nice in this shot. However, the bird is looking away from the light which is generally not what you want. You should have waited for the bird to turn around. If that happened (it very well may not have ever happened, which is just part of wildlife photography), then the bird's face would have been illuminated with that great warm, golden-hour light. As is, the bird's face is in cold shadow which dulls it's colors. Adding a fill flash would have helped especially but only if you add a warming gel over the flash head which would have equalized the color temperature of the light from the flash with the warm gold-hour light coming from camera right - not to mention that it would've added a wonderful catch light in the bird's eye bring it to life.

• J-Dawn
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I don't like the blown out sky. Also, why are you taking and posting other people's photos?

• Jack6 months agoReport

When you're in love, you want to tell the world.

• 6 months ago

The discussion of the photograph seems to be totally concerned with the technical aspect which of course depends entirely on what each photographer wants from 'his' version of the photograph. This seems to be a point not considered.

As an independent viewer, one can only comment on how the photographic appeals to the seances, and in this case the impact is not a pleasing one. The bird seems to be in a hazardous situation and raises concerns for its safety. The photograph raises no emotions what-so -ever. It becomes therefore a technical subject which possibly may have some relative and useful point to make to the photographer, To the normal viewer it has very little, if any, emotional appeal.

• Jack6 months agoReport

To be honest, this is the height of expressionistic photography for me...

• 6 months ago

I'd ask Dan Cotton how he got it published without a little editing ?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I privately call that sort of thing "circus" something or another. Because of the bold colors and sense of motion. I will agree that the white background could be improved - you could even Photoshop that. One aspect is that it's just a pretty picture. It doesn't say anything at all. Nice in it's way though.

Just for fun:

Attachment image
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

The white background doesn't work for me. Maybe if it was grey or even darker?

• keerok
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I would love it more if it were closer. At least crop so that the bird is bigger in the frame. Those prickly cacti are competing for attention.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I think it's cute and maybe kind of funny (in a cute way).

• 6 months ago

I think it’s a really cool photo! There is tons of depth and the colors contrast nicely!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.