What will happen if I ate food grown in a garden sprayed by weed killer?

We had some vegetables in our garden in your yard but just had weed killer sprayed over the grass that was right next to it. Some of it may have gotten onto it and I had just found out after a couple of weeks. What will happen if I ate vegetables after having weedkiller spreayd on them.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

you have been eating veggies and fruits that had weed killer and insect killer sprayed on them all your life.

Wash the produce.

• Lv 4
      6 months agoReport

you right, of course! unless you've had organic vegetables all your life, the veggies you buy in stores have all had pesticides used on them.

• 6 months ago

If it was Roundup (AKA Glyphosate) you will be at a slightly higher risk for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Except for organic foods, fruits and vegetables that are farmed using pesticides and weed killers must, under law, not be harvested for a specified length of time. This is to allow the chemicals to break down or sublimate. This is usually a matter of weeks. Still though, some of it remains.

This is why I will not allow any chemical weed killers insecticides or anything along that line on my property. There is always the haunting suspicion of "what will that stuff do to me, my wife, my kids, my pets?" Well, I don't have to worry about that and if I were you, I wouldn't allow anyone to spray chemicals on the lawn seeing as you have a vegetable garden right next to it.

• C
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Nothing much. You washed the vegetables, right? It's all a matter of proportion. Obviously, you don't want to be eating weed killer (I know someone who was left brain damaged after being cropdusted), but the two scenarios you want to worry about are a catastrophically large dose (like being cropdusted) or prolonged, cumulative exposure. Your body is pretty good at handling small amounts of incidental toxins. If it weren't our species wouldn't still be around.

• 6 months ago

Basically you have been eating vegetables which have been sprayed with bug and weed killer all your life.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.