Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicSinging · 6 months ago

How do I politely ask my choir director to consider changing my assigned vocal part?

I have recently gotten into my high school’s Advanced Choir, under the part of Soprano 2. However, I am able to sing comfortably higher than the typical mezzo-soprano range, and I have a bright vocal timbre. Additionally, my vocal teacher classifies me as a Soprano 1. Thus I want to email my director about considering a change in my assigned vocal part, as I believe that Soprano 1 is more fitting to my tone and range, along with my ability to blend. However, I do not want to sound rude or imposing, so how should I phrase my email?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Judas
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

It doesn t hurt to ask. I would approach your choir director in person (intentions are better expressed in person), explain the context of your question (your private teacher thinks you are better suited to be a soprano I) and ask about the process for putting you in the soprano II section. A good teacher won t insult you for asking such a question, a good teacher would educate you on why. Your teacher may or may not change your section this year, but he might next year.

If your teacher doesn t change your section this time around, consider this as an excellent learning opportunity. I have worked with choirs and observed many different choir rehearsals and one thing seems very common: sopranos have a hard time singing harmonies. As a soprano II, you will sing harmonies more often. This will force you to listen to the surrounding harmonies and will help you develop your ears.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

tell her that you do not feel comfortable with the part given to you

• 6 months ago

I recall the time that I sang bass in one choir and tenor in another, with the same director. The difference between the choirs was the availability of other singers. One choir was short on basses, so I sang bass. The other choir was short on tenors, so ....

Which part you sing in a choir isn't determined by your vocal range, but by what voice (SATB) the choir needs.

• 6 months ago

Did the choir director test your voice for range?

• Mamianka
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

We have been thru this before - and now she is a blue head.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

I think you phrased it well already:

"I believe that Soprano 1 is more fitting to my tone and range, along with my ability to blend."

After that ask if it would be possible for you to be reassigned, and let them know if you're willing to sing to the choir teacher/director to showcase your range.

• Mamianka
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

This latest is not her first post. She does not want to be "second anything". Find her first question - and my long answered based on my 25 year career in this.

• 6 months ago

I was choral director in the schools of NY for over 25 years - but I think I told you that the LAST time you came here to whine. All of us who do this professionally have multiple undergrad and graduate degrees, and decades of experience. We also take several classes in psychology - just in case we have to deal with problems like whiny prima donnas. You seem to be All About You - not supportive of your group, and INDIGNANT that your appropriate vocal designation had a TWO in it. Either grow up - or quit choir. You will hear a great whooshing sound - everyone exhaling in relief that The Drama Soprano is gone.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.