Alan asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 6 months ago

Will a petty theft (misdemeanor) from 7 years ago prevent me from getting a cybersecurity job?

Seven years ago (when I was 20), I was found guilty of a misdemeanor of a petty theft charge. I haven't been in any other trouble since then. For the past two years, I have been in cybersecurity school and maintained a 4.0 GPA. I also joined the honor society. I will be graduating with a ton of certifications. I am not the same person I was at age 20. Do you think I will have trouble finding a job in the cybersecurity field?

• YKhan

Misdemeanours are usually minor, and can be explained away as youthful indiscretion. Just own up to it, and no one will think twice about it later if you've been honest about it.

• Fred

One thing you can't do is try to hide this conviction. Sooner or later it will be found out and at the very least you will be fired if you lied. You will have to explain this to an employer. Be ready and have an explanation if you are asked.

I would not put this on a resume but wait until an interview if they tell you you will have to pass a security check. Let them express an interest in you before you bring this up unless they have previously asked.

If they don't ask, that is their problem. Don't volunteer.

• Henry

It depends on the job.