AZRI asked in TravelUnited StatesChicago · 6 months ago

What is it like living and working in Chicago ?

Hello,

I am originally from Europe and three years ago I moved to Miami. I am heavily disappointed by it. I was thinking of moving to Chicago. Can you please tell me what is it like living there and is it easy to find a job since in Miami it is impossible if you are not from Latin America.

Thank you

• Kyle
    Favorite Answer

it depends on what industry or line of business you're working in. Chicago is a big city, with a lot of suburbs that can also find jobs. you can rent in a suburb or a home if you have enough money and also commute to the city by train.

look on sites like glassdoor, indeed, or even linkedin for jobs in the city and see what's out there.

besides the extreme seasons, really cold in the winter, with some snow, and sometimes can get hot in july and august. it can be a good place to live. you don't need to live in the city to experience it either. and besides what you may hear online or in the media, Chicago is not the "murder capitol of the world". that distinction belongs to east St. Lois. with that said though, there are still bad areas in West and South Chicago. so stay away from there and you should be fine. all the main attractions are north of Soldier Field

Arlington Heights, Palatine, Naperville, Lisle, Downers Grove, Oak Brook, Aurora, Warrenville, Glen Ellyn, Addison, Itasca, Wheaton, Bolingbrook, Lombard, are all suburbs in the greater Chicago area, or Chicago land to look for living units. use zillow or other sites for ideas on how much living costs are.

but there's a ton of stuff to do all the time, in the winter and summer. you got sports year round, music performances, festivals in the summer, and other activities in the winter too.

but i can only say so much. you need to do your research in what you're looking for in jobs, living, activities. then make a decision if you feel you can live and thrive here.

• Toruko

Everything I know about Chicago came from a decade of conversation

with a convicted female felon within the Dwight Correctional Institute.

In her last years of twenty-five total for living too large in Chicago.

If I were you, I'd broaden my horizons. If I were forced to move away from where I live in beautiful Central New Jersey (I'm not being sarcastic, it's not like you see in movies and TV) and made a list of 1,000 other places to live, Chicago wouldn't even make the list.

• John

Chicago famously boasts of having two seasons: Winter and road work. Because the ground is frozen solid in the winter. I always chuckle about the questioners who want to move to places they've never actually been to before.

• sam

cold winters, more crime especially in south chicago. better museums and varied industries, no need for spanish. Much higher taxes