.
. asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 6 months ago

What type of novels do you read?

What genre?

I like historical-fiction from antiquity and fantasy.

Also, if you could recommend me some of the best novels you have ever read about your genre.

• Zac Z
    Favorite Answer

I prefer speculative fiction (fantasy, SF, horror) but also read the occasional historical novel or thriller.

There is so much good stuff out there.

In order to give you good suggestions, it might be helpful to get better directions, like which books you especially enjoyed, maybe what topics you like to read about, whether you are looking for books aimed at younger readers or mature ones, etc.

Some fantasy novels that are too good not to have read:

- The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

- The Princess Bride by William Goldman

- The Neverending Story by Michael Ende*; if you liked that book and don't mind reading novels aimed for younger readers, check out Salman Rushdie's "Haroun and the Sea of Stories"

Try to track down the Time Master trilogy by Louise Cooper consisting of "The Initiate", "The Outcast", and "The Master".

I fell in love with the language and quirky story of Michael Shea's "In Yana, the Touch of Undying".

- A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore is a funny read if you like a bit of dark humor.

I also liked L. Sprague de Camp trilogy "The Reluctant King" consisting of "The Goblin Tower", "The Clocks of Iraz", and "The Unbeheaded King". There's also an omnibus edition called "The Reluctant King".

---

Historical novels I liked a lot were "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett and Noah Gordon's "The Physician".

There are a lot more books I could recommend but I'll leave it at that for the moment.

* If you think you know the story because you seen the movie, you don't! The first movie only covers about the third of the novel, leaving out quite some stuff and doesn't live up the source. The other movies... well, let's not talk about them as they have pretty much no connection to the novel.

My daughter loves boarding school series like the Davina Dupree one by S K Sheridan, she says they are addictive!

Fantasy, because it keeps me entertained.

Detective, Classical and historical

i like to read science fiction and nonfiction and fiction books

I like "alternative history" when something changes to make a different history than as we know it.

• .

Please recommend me some novels from that genre, especially from antiquity!

Classic and fiction

• Kyle

non-fiction, mostly military related. my favorite so far is 13 Hours by Mitchell Zuckoff. he writes it with the help of the surviving contracts from the Benghazi Attack in 2012

historical fiction - Dan Brown. i've read all his work.

political thriller - Vince Flynn - he passed away a couple years ago, but Mitch Rapp is his main series.

fantasy - Harry Potter series. i've also read LOTR, The Hobbit, but HP will always be my favorite.

Spy novels - Robert Ludlum's Bourne Trilogy. they are really nothing like the movies. so read them with an open mind.

I like sci fi and horror. It's hard to recommend the ones I think are the best, but here are some I've read and enjoyed fairly recently"

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

The Expanse series by James S.A. Corey

14 by Peter Clines

The Passage trilogy by Justin Cronin

The Newsflesh series by Mira Grant

The Agatha H series by Phil and Kaja Foglio

The Neuromancer trilogy by William Gibson

The Collapsing Empire series by John Scalzi

I haven't done any reading for entertainment in many years now. I also like historical fiction and found Bernard Cornwell to be the best writer of it in my experience. I was exposed to his series of novels covering the Peninsular wars and Napoleonic wars, featuring his fictional Richard Sharpe. He began, but unfortunately never finished, an excellent series on the American Civil War aka 'The Starbuck Chronicles'.

He then did several series going back to medieval times in France and England, and even earlier, covering the Danish invasion and the founding of Saxon England.

There's the Grail Quest (searching for the Holy Grail), The Warlord Chronicles, and the Saxon Stories.

As I said, it's been years, and your question prompted me to take a look. I see that Cornwell has since added another volume to Grail Quest, and at least three or four since the last I read of the Saxon storyline.

I think these would be right up your alley.

• Marli

I read more history than historical fiction. I like both Alison Weir's novels and history books about the Tudor Age. I've read "Wolf Hall" and "Bring Up the Bodies" by Hilary Mantel (When is she going to finish the third book?)

One thousand white women : the journals of May Dodd / Fergus, Jim. "The Book of Negroes" / aka "Someone Knows My Name" by Lawrence Hill. "Alias Grace" by Margaret Atwood. "The Return of Moriarty" and "The Revenge of Moriarty," by John Gardner. Bernard Cornwell's Azincourt. (The War of 1812 reenactors here think we'll of his Sharpe novels, so he is probably good at the Napoleonic War stuff.).

• bluebellbkk

The third book is promised for March or April 2020. I'm going to pre-order my copy tomorrow! PS If you're a fan of the Napoleonic War period, I hope you've read Susanna Clarke's 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell'.