I have a pair of Rocket Dog sneakers and I stepped in gasoline. How do I get the smell off without putting them in the washer?

• Snid

C.'s answer is excellent. I love Rocket Dogs! I have 11 pair.

• C

This might take a few attempts. Gasoline isn't water soluble so putting them in the washer wouldn't work very well anyways. That would make your next load of laundry tainted. The first thing I'd try is spreading a thin layer of Dawn (or another degreasing dish detergent) along the soles, not forgetting the sides and stand the sneakers in a flat bottomed container of a little water (not enough to reach the sneaker parts) overnight someplace where nothing will knock or slosh the container. The next day carefully wipe off with a sponge. Repeat until the smell is gone. If the smell is mostly gone, going for a walk outside is an option as the friction of the ground will wear away some of the sole.

Another option is to fill a container with pure kaolin kitty litter (that's the really cheap stuff) and place the sneakers on that, remembering to cover the sides of the soles too. Everyday brush off the soles, give the kaolin a stir about and replace the sneakers. Keep well away from cats.