Is there shame in realizing you don't want to do what youve been going to school for anymore...?

I've been in veterinary technician school... but I'm being burnt out by the clients, the pets' situations, some of the coworkers, the schooling etc. I still enjoy the work, and wouldn't want to leave the field completely, but I'm realizing that I want to get more into copy-editing, which I've always been great at.

The problem is I hate feeling like I've "quit." Even though I know it's better for my mental health (I've got legitimate issues), I still feel like I'm giving up. I don't know, I'm just in a really hard place right now.

What's your opinion?

Thank you everyone. You've really helped to put it in perspective for me. : )

Favorite Answer

No, and its fairly common for medical professionals including vet techs to go through these stages throughout their lengthy training. If you're already getting burnt out, then that's a sign you need to switch careers immediately. While the money and time invested sucks to lose, your overall well being is far more important. I would know, I had to do the same and I never regret looking back. Do what's best for you.

• GEEGEE

No. But for me, it would depend in part in how much time I had invested, and how much schooling remained.

Vcfrtwtegwgggwg gwgegwggwgsgs

No there is no shame at all..common actually

No. Do what you need to do.

Definitely not! It’s better to realize sooner than later that you want to change your major. Otherwise, you’ll just have a degree in something you dislike and can’t do much with

• Never

Not really that uncommon.

Do what you want and don't concern yourself with "spilt milk".

Yes, for you and you only, if that's how you operate. So what are you going to do, whine about it endlessly? Just get on with your life, change things, pursue what you are interested in, wtf are you worried about feeling like you are quitting? Good grief, so because you hate a feeling you have are you just going to torture yourself over it? My God what dysfunction!!! Good luck Chuck!!

• aj6 months agoReport

My therapist took a different avenue with veterans so she's not doing civilian therapy anymore; I don't have her to vent to. I'm looking for a new one.

Sorry to have annoyed you w my question.