Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 6 months ago

Is judo and jiu jitsu good?

Favorite Answer

Judo is awesome, but competition butchered the art. BJJ is hipster Judo, ingrains bad habits, but has the most developed ground game of any sub grappling style. It's never good to go to your back purposefully. In a live combat situation, the last place you want to be is on the ground. You will get the shjt kicked out of you. I think catch wrestling is where it's at. They start standing, they work takedowns more than most other arts, they incorporate throws, they don't lie about the importance of strength, they have submissions, and there's not many banned techniques. Grappling alone isn't enough though. I think western boxing and kickboxing are more important. Style isn't everything either though, rules just shape the environment, gear people towards certain things. The less rules, the more realistic, but also, the more dangerous. Finding a good school is the most important thing.

I've trained Jiu Jitsu for almost 10 years and I think it's a cult of elitism and egos, that their philosophy is dishonest, and I recognize the bad habits that it's ingrained in me. It has some very valuable moves, but I'm not a fan of the art in general. Jiu Jitsieros go to their backs like nothing and struggle to take even high school wrestlers down, without wrestling and/or judo supplementation. Catch wrestling is by no means perfect, but it's more complete. What they don't have is sweeps, which I think is Jiu Jitsu's only saving grace.

• Lv 5

I don't believe you, you're insane.

You so called best answer is that. So called.

I bet he did not even THINK that.

So when you say JiuJitsu, i know many think BJJ and such. Others and the people who do really train in martial sciences know when you say JiuJitsu you mean JJJ not that crappy BJJ or GJJ. That stuff is good for tv and mma trash.

You did not say which type of JiuJitsu. So i will mention Japanese JiuJitsu. Judo is right from that. Too bad sports took control of Judo. Unless you can find that rare Judo instructor who teaches and trains in 'old school' or non competitive style of such. That Judo in the traditional way taught strikes and low sweep kicks. Check into that.

BJJ and GJJ are just bastardizations of Judo and mostly of the anti-rape female side of Judo. And yes it is documented in Japan as such a thing. Just look at the defensive ground work and maybe you will see it or understand. And than they sprayed some gold paint on it and marketed it as BJJ or GJJ.

I would suggest looking into Japanese or Korean form of JiuJitsu. Those 2 have strikes, kicks, joint locks. takedowns, standup grappling, ground and counters to all of that. Defense against is not a true concept to that. Since you really counter and turn that into a offense and control.

So I say JAPANESE JIU-JITSU is the way to go.

• JoKyoNim

I trained not long ago with a 72 year old retired police officer(highly decorated and did all sorts of undercover and spec ops)(from a city with 1 of the highest murder and violent crime rates in US) JJJ grandmaster.
      Wonderful experience

• Lôn

Yes, they are...

• Lv 4

good answer; also, Authentic Kodokan type Judo contains much more than competition-only-type places,including correct Authentic JiuJitsuTechniques,Kata,& more; thorough Authentic Places are good; and, especially outside Asia, Authentic Judo Masters, & also Authentic JiuJitsu Masters,are very unusual

• Petter

Good as gold, go go go.