Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 6 months ago

How much contaminated food do you have to eat to realisitcally risk botulinum?

I had forgotten a stew in my fridge for months. Because I'm an idiot, I dipped a fingertip in it to try it. Only later I found out there is a pretty good risk for some really nasty bacteria in doing stuff like that. Does anyone know how much exaclty you need ot eat to risk a botulinum or similarly dangerous illness?

• Pippin

Botulism is anaerobic. It is a risk from improperly canned foods, not something that was just forgotten in the fridge.

Not sure why ANYONE would taste food that was covered with mold or stinking rotton ... but if you aren't sick now, you are unlikely to get sick. Food poisoning usually comes on pretty quickly.

• Miles

I didn't say because it didn't really matter, but the stew looked perfect. Color was okay, there was no molt or rotten looking stuff, smell was the same as when it first cooled off, and for that drop I tasted the taste was the same as well.

• kelvin

you would have to actually eat it

• k w

not likely a major problem , but had you heated and ate it, sick as a dog....you need to be prepared for emergencies AND accidents...keep on hand, cuz most don't know, activated charcoal tabs/faster or caps a bit slower, will absorb toxins in the gut is why I reco the tabs OR liquid clay available at GNC or any health food store, the liquid is the best, I actually used it when I got the FLU, it helped a lot. Health/Illness begins in the gut, so if you can figure it out, some can, some can't....do some reading up on things for natural healing, get familiar with it, walgreens is not usually handy nor open 24 hours, that's why I reco to buy, have it on hand, just in case you need it, be self reliant, know stuff like that.....

• k w

2 days for foods in fridge...mark the bag or container with date you put it in there.....