Is there a device to test STRICTLY insulin levels?

From my understanding foods with a high glycemic index increase your blood glucose levels but foods with low glycemic index that contain say... fructose increase your insulin levels and (depending on its index value) little to none of your glucose levels. So when I test my glucose it doesn t neccesarily reflect my insulin, which is my main concern.

There IS a test for insulin levels, but not one that you would be able to carry out at home. It needs to be done in a pathology laboratory.

Unfortunately, your understanding of the Glycemic Index is incorrect. In non-diabetics, it doesn't matter whether you eat a high glycemic index diet or a low glycemic index diet, whatever you imbibe WILL increase insulin levels. This is because insulin is required to 'transport' the glucose from your bloodstream into your body's cells where it is used to create energy.

Yes, an insulin level is a type of blood test.

It isn't totally irrelevant, but hasn't been shown to be a good diagnostic tool for long term management of diabetes.

Hgb-A1C, on the other hand, has been shown to be a much better indicator of overall glycemic control as well as a predictor for long-term complications of the disease.

• micksmixxx

An insulin level test has NEVER been used as a "diagnostic test for long term management of diabetes", sir.