Is it possible for one person to live in a house while it's being rewired (UK) - and the kitchen being replaced?

My husband and I carried on living in our house in England while central heating was being installed in every room. It was hell but we managed.

Hi,

I’m an electrician in uk (check us out at elec-inn.co.uk ) we carry our full rewires on a regular basis.

It is always preferable that customers move out during the works but it is not always practicable.

The main issue is dust. We use dustless extraction machines but it is still a dusty process . From a safety point of view this shouldn’t be an issue as your contractor will be able to ensure everything is carried out in safety.

Source(s): Https://elec-in.co.uk
    • M.

Fix the error in your Source(s)!

• JASON

Working for a rental company that does this with its properties, yes. Personally I don't think it's right.

it would be unsafe to use any electrical power while this electrical work is being done.

Do it in the fair weather months with a take away menu handy.

• hooray

Not hard at all. No need to do without services during the project, even while working. Power only needs to be entirely off for transferring over to a new consumer unit. Everything else can be isolated and electricity is trivially easy to organise temporarily. Plumbing is also easily isolated and not difficult to arrange temporary provision.

My brother and I built my kitchen entirely from scratch in 5 days. Stripped right back to base brick and concrete. Tore out and replaced the ceiling. Levelled and tiled the floor. Replaced and enhanced all plumbing and electricals. Fitted units, counters, appliances. Only job hired in was a superb finishing plasterer. We had power and water the whole time.

Rewired my house with a friend over 5 days, including repairing floor areas we tore up and plastering channels.

Hiring reputable contractors can get the work done quicker and easier than doing it yourself, and these aren't projects for beginners, but it's good to know your home inside out.

• elhigh

Possible, but not fun.

• drip

For how long?

Plenty of people live in their homes while it is under major repairs.

Absolutely. I lived in my house when I had the kitchen re-done, two bedrooms knocked into one and new roofs over the kitchen and utility. I set up a makeshift kitchen in a small space in the dining room with a microwave and camping gas burner, did the washing up in the shower as the boiler had been removed and the electric shower was the only source of hot water. You do have to be organised and try to keep out of the workers way while they are there. I doubt you would be left without electricity when they finish for the day. If you have young children, or children who are in the middle of exams, it might be wise to get them to stay elsewhere while the work is being done.

I was only left one weekend with no hot water (by accident as the builders forgot to put the shower back together. I lived like this for 3 months and survived.

Yes, but you won;t have any electric or water while it's going on.