How would you feel if a male relative of yours wanted to work in childcare?

I asked a question a few days ago about men working in childcare jobs (daycare centers, babysitting, etc.), and at least a few people started saying things like "I think that's weird". Because I guess a person should not be allowed to work where they want because of the gender they are born.

To this that think it's "weird" for males to work in childcare, what if one of your male relatives wanted to work a job like this? A son, a nephew, a brother, etc. Would you still love that person? Would you try and talk them out of it?

• P
    Favorite Answer

I think men often struggle with the stereotype that males too comfortable with little kids are probably perverts. Not to mention if something does happen people are quick to point the finger so there's almost a liability for males in that industry. Secondly unless you own your own daycare facility it's not a career that would support a family by itself which is something to keep in mind unless you find a spouse who can and the husband needs to take a job that also lets him care for his own kids.

Would not bother me in the least. Does it bother you? Why?

I would not try to talk them out of it. Women are encouraged to work in most traditionally male jobs, and I don't see what it shouldn't work the other way as well.

There is certainly some stigma associated with men working with kids...but that's a little outdated. Do you also think female doctors or lawyers are weird?

• Tavy

Here in the U.K. we have Male Norland Nannies, perfectly normal. Look them up.

We also have Male paediatric nurses.

Male childminders.

Your people should get out more.

I would think that it was great!

It used to be weird to have men as typists, men as stewardesses etc. as well as having women being supreme court judges, mayors and doctors.

This is 2019, job categories are not based on gender anymore.

• edward

I work in the hospital, not a doctor, nurse. Children’s Emergency. Kind of the same thing as child care, i help cure kids from sicknesses

you dont understand all men are pigs and equality is for me and not for thee.

Whats wrong with that equal rights wrf