What is the quotation marks [" "] in a person s name?

I often sees " " in US people s name such as Rafael Edward "Ted" Cruz and Caspar "Cap" Willard Weinberger, though I am not sure this is specific to US people or politician.

Could you please teach me what it is and the name of this way of calling if there is a specific way of calling it.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Jenny
    Lv 6
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It's the name the person is generally known by but not part of the official name. Generally, if it is a common nickname of the first name, the quotes aren't used but in Ted Cruz's name, for example, it is a nickname of his middle name.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

In your example it is a "nickname".

That is the name they want to be called.

It's not their legal name.

• Poppy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The name not in quotes is their legal/given name. The name in the quote is what they are called. So when talking to them use the name in quotes.

• Rico
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

Rafael Edward "Ted" Cruz, Rafael Edward is his given name, but he likes to be called Ted.

Caspar "Cap" Willard Weinberger, Casper is the first given name, and the nick name is Cap.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

They're nicknames. Names that are not official but the person likes to be called.

• ?
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Its a way of indicating a nickname, or their preferred and most commonly used form of address. For example, most people are familiar with Rafael Edward Cruz as Ted Cruz

• John P
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

The name in quotation marks is usually a nickname, as generally used by that person.

• 6 months ago

Everyone, thank you very much for replying in such a few minutes!! I understand. It is like an "half-official" nickname for a part of their name except for the first name, right? Thank you very much again.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Katashi, it's confusing when the asker posts among the questions. If you want to say something to us, click on EDIT and post an Update. It will appear just below your original question, and everyone will see it and understand that it's from you. If you post here in the answers, it may be overlooked.

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The "Ted" or "Cap" is their nickname or the name they are usually known as.

Paul "Gazza" Gascoine.

• Mike W
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

From what I understand, the name in quotes is their nickname. It's not specific to politicians. For example Francis Michael "King" Clancy went by King Clancy, and Leonard Patrick "Red" Kelly went by Red Kelly. Both were players in the NHL.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.