Should I swap shifts with my coworker?

A coworker of mine is trying to guilt me into swapping shifts with her and I don't know what I should do. My conscience is telling me to do the kind thing; but she's not very nice and I don't feel very inclined to help her out. I was sick earlier this week, not feeling great because of a sinus infection, so when she messaged me saying "let me know about Friday. You're literally the only person who can do it." I responded by saying that I had decided not to take it because I felt like I needed to rest (among many other reasons, but that's the reason I gave her). I work two jobs and swapping this shift with her means that I don't get an entire day off for over a week, and I already had plans with friends on the night in question. She's wanting to swap because her husband is playing a show she forgot to ask off for.

She complains a lot and has turned down my requests to have a shift covered 3-4 times in the past.

Now she's reacting passive-aggressively, by reacting to a Facebook post I made today about a little gardening I had done, obviously to say "hey look, you're not really sick, you're just being an ****** and not taking this shift for me."

I'm usually the person who is nice enough to pick up shifts for everybody, and I feel really bad by not helping her out... But, I feel like I need to put my foot down. I would never and never have reacted this way when someone chose not to take a shift for me, regardless of the reason.

Yes you should.

F*ck her!! Shes a b*tch lol dont let people like that push you around! Never swap shifts with her ever just for this!

You do not have to feel badly about it.

swap shifts

swap partner

swap life

• Eva

Don't feel bad about turning her down. If you feel you have to reply in a like manner, you could tell her you've asked her to cover your shifts several times and she's turned you down, so you don't feel the need to cover for her.

• Kelly

You don't owe her a reason and you're not obligated to cover her shift. She planned poorly, this is on her.

Put your fut down and tell her the truth.

Practice makes perfect in becoming ballsy in standing up for yourself. Eventually, it will come natural without guilt. Because if you think about it, you ARE being screwed over for YOUR days off.

• Tj

Stop being so nice that it effects your home life. People know you are easy. They want from you but never return a favor. Take care of number one (you). You do not have a great relationship with her, so why help her.

• Bleu

Well if she's already being a jerk about it, then don't even humor her anymore. Tell her it's not going to happen, and that the reason you feel sick is because of her bad vibes.

Give her the middle finger. If she didn’t cover you when you asked her then why should you cover her. What comes around goes around. Tell her that if she had covered you in the past, you would have covered her but she didn’t so you’re not going to do it. Not your problem that she forgot. Besides, it’s not like she’s sick or an emergency.