Can I use my FAFSA money to pay for my real estate salesperson course?

I'm 18 and live in California. Im renewing my FAFSA for 2019-2020 school year and wanted to know if I can pay for my real estate salesperson course using my FAFSA. The course is around $200.

6 Answers

  • 8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    If the course is taught by the college you're attending, then yes. Otherwise, you'd have to wait until all your financial aid disburses for your college tuition and fees and book expenses and room and board if applicable. If there is leftover financial aid after the disbursement, then your college may issue you a check or deposit the leftover aid into your personal checking account. You can do whatever you want with the money at that point.

    When I was in college, I would sometimes receive a check from my college for leftover financial aid after disbursement.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • nancy
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

    To be eligible for federal student aid (FAFSA), you have to be enrolled at least half time in an eligible degree or certificate program at am eligible school that participates in the Title IV program. If the course is only $200, chances are it doesn't meet those criteria, so it's unlikely that you could use FAFSA funds to pay for it. However, it would be best to check with the school that's offering it to determine if it qualifies. If not, they may be able to suggest alternatives, such as a payment plan or private student loan.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

    First, FAFSA is an application, not an aid program. Can you use Federal Funds (grants, loans, work-study) for a really short real estate course? Probably NOT, if all you are taking is the real estate course. Speak to the people at the place you are taking the class - they may have access to STATE funds that might help you - otherwise, call you local Unemployment Office and ask about any education programs you might qualify for. Lastly, if you receive assistance from your state's DHHR agency, THEY might have funds to help you.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

    You can use it for whatever you want.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 months ago

    If you receive cash for living expenses, it can be used for almost anything.

    It's illegal to invest it.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 8 months ago

    Unlikely. Financial aid is credited first toward your school's tuition, fees, room & board, other bills from the school itself. Real estate courses are not covered by FAFSA.

    • John8 months agoReport

      A real estate course could easily be offered for credit as part of the University program. If that's the case, then it would be what you were given money for in the first place. BTW, FAFSA does not cover anything. FAFSA is only an application. Nothing more.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.