Will I Get Pulled Over If One Of My Lights Are Out? (Picture)?

I have a 2008 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 SE. I took it to a mechanic and he said the problem isn’t the lightbulb; it’s the entire headlight assembly, so I’ll have to get it replaced. Will I still be able to drive at night without getting a ticket while my lights are like this? Please see the pictures, I am asking because my daytime running light still works at night, but not the low beam light.

Low Beam Picture (As you can see, the daytime running light is still on. I would like to know if I can drive at night without getting a ticket.

ACTUAL QUESTION: Will I get pulled over if my lights are like this at night?

• Edna
    Favorite Answer

Your "running light" isn't exactly the same thing as a low-beam headlight. Your running lights are going to burn all the time, whether or not your head lights are on. From the picture, it looks as if the headlight on the driver's side is burning on high beam, but if you "dim" your headlights,the headlight on the passenger side will go out.

The entire headlight assembly on the passenger side is out. You're going to need to have that replaced.

• M.

It surely is a safety violation.

• zipper

YES! Then in Nebraska they will beat the HELL out of you!

• Erik

Well, you could, but think about it. A cop would have to be in the oncoming traffic lane, see you, and then swing around and give chase. That's why it's much more common to be pulled over for a taillight that doesn't work.

I remember years ago I had a car and one of the headlights burned out. I got it replaced, and then the other one burned out. I just said screw it and drove around with my brights on all the time. It was an old car, so they were really weak. I think I just kept it that way until I junked the car.

• g

Could you be cited by law enforcement for driving with a failed headlight? Absolutely.

Will you? Who knows, but you would be certainly taking the risk you could.

• Scott

Yes, you are at the risk of being stopped and ticketed for having a malfunctioning light.

• JetDoc

Even if you did get a ticket for having a headlight out, it would just be a "fix-it" ticket that would give you a reasonable amount of time to make repairs before any fine or penalty is assessed.

• Daniel

I don’t know you should try it

• Daniel

nope, hope you dont see a cop. Although more dangerous, but also legal in some areas, have you tried turning on the brights, it could be something with just the low setting and not broght setting

• Edna

If you run with your brights on in the face of on-coming traffic, you'll get a ticket for failure to dim your head lights.

• WB

Yes..................