Was this cleaner out of line?

In a food court, theres a guy at a table (several other empty ones) eating KFC from its box. But cleaner says "no outside food allowed" (theres no KFC in this foodcourt so he must have brought it in from down the street. the CLEANER even points to a sign, and tells him to leave. I go over and tell the... show more In a food court, theres a guy at a table (several other empty ones) eating KFC from its box. But cleaner says "no outside food allowed" (theres no KFC in this foodcourt so he must have brought it in from down the street. the CLEANER even points to a sign, and tells him to leave. I go over and tell the cleaner he s out of line and no authority to tell this guy to leave and its not his rules. He gets really red in face and starts to now yell at me> Tells me to get out too that is noone of my business. I leave but not before knocing chairs pover as I leave. KFC boy has also left. Should I have stood my ground? I was basically finished but that's why I left. Should a mere CLEANER have told me and the other guy what to do? His job is surely to just clean and keep his nose out!
Update: Yes he works there, but only in menial role - surely no right to tell people to leave. ?? I should tell him what to do everytime I go there? spill food etc.. on floor.