Rose asked in Consumer ElectronicsLand Phones · 6 months ago

Company wants to take my phone number.?

My company has been paying me a phone allowance of $60 for the last three years. My current phone bill is $120.

The company has demanded that I relinquish my phone number to them, And that they would provide me with another company issued phone number.

I only use my personal telephone for work calls during after hours calls received, or from clients that are out of the country who preferred to call my personal phone line.

I was also told that this was not an option and that I must comply.

This has been my private phone number for approximately 20 years.

Is this legal? Help please.

Unless they paid to have your phoneline installed for the express purpose of business in the first place and are paying the entire bill, the number belongs to you, not them.

If they want you to use an official company number then they should supply another phone and pay the bill and leave your personal service and number alone.

If it is YOUR phone No - it is YOUR contract.

If the Company wants to install a new No for work purposes, and stop paying your $60 allowance, fine - let them.

I would then stop using your personal No for work purposes.

Unless the Co has signed your phone contract, then it is NOT their No and contract to change.

"Politely" Invite them/tell them that you are happy for them to install a new Co owned line... but the current No and Line is yours .and remind them that THEY have no been paying for it the last N years, so have they misunderstood the ownership of the line and PERSONAL phone No (that all your friends, family and other personal contracts have as a contact point)

• Joe

Of course you need to comply. You work for them, they are the boss. It was nice while it lasted, but it 's over. Stop complaining and do as you're told.

Your first step is to find out the reason for this. Could they be planning to replace you and want someone else to answer the calls that you receive? Could they be unaware of what they are asking? Maybe it's some moron in HR who doesn't know anything. Did you sign any agreements? They can't force you to relinquish your phone number but if it's that important to them, I would offer to sell it them. Selling a phone number can bring in as much as $5,000 or possibly more.

Effectively it comes down to whose name is on the phone contract. If it's your name (sounds very much like it), your company can go and flip cartwheels. They may stop paying you the allowance, and you may (should!) stop using your phone for business, which will force them to issue you a company phone with a company number. Everyone loses, but it will hurt thme more than you.

They have no right to the number unless they issued it to you. Your name is on the bill and always has been, it's yours. Can they fire you for not giving it up anyway? These circumstances make it as questionable as demanding that you sign over your car because they've been paying for half the gas.

Strategy: point out the error of their ways and pledge to conduct all business over a company-issued phone, including correcting customers who call your personal number; but dammit your personal number stays where it is.

...This might be useful, at least for answering who has the right to the phone number:

"Whose Phone Number is it Anyway? (When Companies Allow Their Employees to Use Cell Phones for Both Business and Personal Use)"

https://www.neildymott.com/bring-your-own-device-t...

I have no idea why they would want to or need to do this and if you "owned" the phone number before you started working there, then they have no rights or jurisdiction over that number. If they don't want you using your personal phone/number for work, you can always get a second line installed (this was very common before cell phones became ubiquitous) if the company is willing to pay for it. My guess is that they simply don't want you using your home phone for work and do not want to provide the phone allowance so make sure you are getting the details right before getting too upset.

It is completely within the company right to say that you may not use your home phone for company work and to not give you an allowance for phone service. When they say this that doesn't mean you can't (legally) do it, it just means that you can not submit for any sort of reimbursement or complain because you were instructed of the policy and you are expected to abide by the policy.

They have no right to request anything like that of you. If you are not in the decision making process of the phones, then you should be. Tell them to forget it - you are keeping it and you like it just the way it is.