Jack asked in SportsMartial Arts · 7 months ago

What the point in a jump kick in mma, where you jump off a leg and kick with the other leg? Is it stronger?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

They leave you wide open, to get your @ss handed to you

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 months ago

It's physics. Yes they're stronger but slower. I see them used in mma all the time.

• ...Show all comments
    • John7 months agoReport

Lol I'm good
      I meant more powerful amd it takes a little while it jump in the air then kick. Rather than to simply throw a kick

• 7 months ago

Yes and no. Some jump kicks can be extremely powerful like a jump spinning back kick

or jump spinning side kick. Then you have the power of your hips and body and the torque from that mainly powering the kick The faster you spin and harder you turn your hips the more power is in the kick. It is much the same with a jump spinning hook kick also. Other times this is not the case and they are done for other reasons.

A fake front/rear round house kick for instance is an example of this. That is when a fighter will jump and lift their rear leg as if they are doing a front kick. That is only a fake to bring your opponent's hands more forward and maybe lower and then you instead do a round house with what was once your front leg but is now your rear leg because of the fake. The round house comes around from the side and maybe catches your opponent with their hands more to the front and lower possibly and not prepared to block the round house. Jump kicks and jump kicking combinations along with kicking combinations have all sorts of intended purposes. Being a kicker I used to use a fair number of them and an example of what I am saying is I used to use a hook/ round house kick sometimes. Throwing the hook kick up to my opponents head I would deliberately sometimes go over their head and then round house them on the opposite side while they thought I missed or threw it too high. Did the round house have a lot of power? Not really but I would throw that at the end of a round to help influence the judges more and they giving me the round maybe. Another one of my favorites was a high round house/low side kick. If my opponent lifted his hands more and outward to block the round house then that would expose their body more for the side kick to the body and that I could deliver with some real power. Most of my kicking combinations were not jumping though because once up in the air you can't change your direction nor defend yourself so well if your opponent moves in and jams the kick and plants a good rear hand on your face or head which is the way to counter some of these jump kicks or jump spinning kicks.

• Lv 4
      7 months agoReport

good detailed answer

• Todd
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

The power advantage is silly. The person is in the air with no ground. Look at ancient history, both western and eastern; no flying kicks, acrobatics. We like to watch that on TV and movies, but the truth is in real life combat is much more mundane from the point of view of the observer.

Answer: nobody in combat does a flying/jumping kick. Once you're in the air, you've lost your ground. There is no balance while off the surface.

• ...Show all comments
    • JoKyoNim
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

There was a tactical reason and also a type of game or sport that trains the body so it can be done in combat.
      Mainly in Northern China and Korea, weather and mountains they developed these tactics.
      Mainly when you want to kill the enemy general while he on his horse.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

The weight of the whole body is developed on the impact.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

same reason a normal kick from the back leg is more powerful than the front leg. It is not strength or stronger.

It is physics. It is power not strength.

Just look at the physics involved. 'nuff said

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.