Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

The grief is unbearable.?

My dog, who was my absolute best friend, passed away. He was the greatest dog ever. He was perfect in every way. He brought so much joy to my life. He died suddenly the other day. I haven't stopped crying since. I don't know what to do anymore. He was the reason I enjoyed life, he always made me smile and happy. I have dealt with loss before, I have lost family members that were very dear to my heart, but nothing has ever felt like this. The house is so empty, my heart is empty. I have no idea what to do, or how to go on. People have mentioned that I should get another dog. Part of me wants to, but the other part of me says I will never get another one. I feel like getting another dog would be replacing my other dog, no matter how much time has passed. I know I will never love another dog like I loved my other dog. I guess you can say that my dog was/is my soulmate. I feel completely lost.

sorry to hear you lost your baby. i lost my pekingese in april and the grief is overwhelming. i still cry and my heart still hurts. time doesn t heal it permanently. the memories, guilt, what-ifs will always be there right along side the smiles and giggles and happy memories. BUT . . . i got a new peke puppy and he is healing my heart more than the tears and condolences and cards from others ever did. do yourself a favor - get another baby to love but always keep the first one close to your heart (cremains in a locket, pic in wallet/on wall or desk, etc.).

So sorry for your loss! You have to give yourself time to grieve and heal. I know it sounds cliche, but time really does heal wounds. One day you’ll be able to think of your dog and it won’t hurt as much. Best wishes!

They're like our children. It takes a long time. People who don't have furbabies will never understand the bond we have with them and the amount of love they give us.

I lost my dog 6-months ago and I miss him so much it hurts. I can't get another one right now because of my current circumstances but I know, when I get another one, it will heal my grief. Take your time and look for the right dog. I know you will be better for it.

• Pauline6 months agoReport

Just wait you will know when the time is right a home is so empty after the death of a dog, it took me quite while until I could look at a photo of my Sasha without tears. Now we have Rhianna and she is three years old now and is a ray of sunshine in the home, so cute and loving.

My dog is basically my partner now. (I'm divorced, no kids, and older) I can understand how your grief can be unbearable. I'm so sorry this has happened. I know that you can feel some consolation in the fact that as much as you love him/her, they know that was the case. Their life was made pretty wonderful by all the love you had between you. When people lose a partner or very close loved one it is generally best to find places where you can share your grief. I believe there are forums online where you can find others who have also experienced this loss. It also wouldn't be wrong to see a counselor. (there are some who specifically deal with pet loss).

I also understand you will never love another dog like you loved this one. But, it is possible to love another dog and personally, I feel like in the not so distant future you should consider that. Our love is not finite. People who are widowed young often learn this. You love your dog no less by loving another.

I really do understand how you feel about the loss of your dog. You may not appreciate what i am going to say but I DO think the only way forward is to get yourself another dog/ or puppy, depending on your circumstances!. If you are an older person then maybe an older housetrained dog may fit the bill for you!. If you are a younger person with time on your hands then a puppy will be the best choice! Either way, give yourself some time to grieve over the loss of your special canine friend, then pick yourself up and start looking for another canine friend to fill the empty void in your heart and the emptiness in your life! God bless you!

• patty

get a cat or another dog or a flatmate

Another dog is by no means a replacement but all the same you should get one because you can use the experience gained from your deceased dog in its training... and that WILL DIVERT you present feeling of loss... and when completed the good memories of your former dog will live on in the new dog....

• mokrie

I'm soo sorry for your loss. I know how we can love an animal more then most people could comprehend. Give yourself a year to get through the deep mourning. Then get another dog of a different kind. No dog can replace the dog you loved so deeply but there are dogs at the pound that need a home and could be a companion. Just like when we lose a family member, we can't replace them but we can find pleasure in the company of others we like. It would be the same with a new dog. It could never replace but it could be a different friend.

I'm sorry for ur loss of ur dog.