Does comprehensive insurance cover car repairs not the result of an accident?

Say my car randomly starts releasing smoke, or making a weird noise, will comprehensive insurance cover the repair cost for this, or does it purely cover damage to my car as the result of an accident?

Thanks in advance

15 Answers

  • zipper
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

    Only if it is broken glass; engine repairs are your problem unless you buy a car repair contract for engine trouble.

  • 6 months ago

    That is routine maintenance, which insurance has nothing to do with and does not cover it.

  • 6 months ago

    Comprehensive is a misnomer. It does not cover collision damage but does cover what is listed: fire, theft, vandalism, hail, falling objects. it does not cover maintenance.

    Source(s): Retired claims adjuster.
  • 6 months ago

    No. Comprehensive does cover non-accident damage, but only direct damage to the vehicle. It doesn't cover any type of wear & tear, mechanical breakdown or maintenance costs of any kind.

    Comprehensive is also known as "fire & theft" coverage, because it covers the vehicle for damage due to fire, theft, lightning, flood, hail, vandalism, falling objects, stuff like that.

    The coverage you're looking for is only provided by a warranty, guarantee or other maintenance contract.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

    It does not cover maintenance type repairs.

  • 6 months ago

    No. It doesn't cover stuff that randomly goes wrong or that wears out. It also doesn't cover damage as the result of an accident. Damage as the result of an accident is covered by collision insurance. Comprehensive covers theft and covers damage from fire, hail, flood, vandalism, etc. Neither of them covers random problems.

  • 6 months ago

    no. It is not a lifetime guarantee for anything that can go wrong.

  • May
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

    Comprehensive will not pay for routine repairs. It covers Fire, theft, vandalism, windstorm damage , hail damage, damage due to hitting a wild animal (deer),. most glass breakage...…...

  • 6 months ago

    No. Comprehensive insurance only covers accidental damages, not normal repairs. For normal repairs, you would have to have an extended warranty (or remaining manufacturer's warranty for a relatively new car).

  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    i would call thern up and ask thern

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.