Motorcycle wont start ?

Hi,

The motorcycle was idling like normal I went inside to pick up my helmet, then when I got back it just turned off, I Cranked it but no success , I checked spark , it is OK, It just turns on for like just 1-2 cranks and stops again over and over...

I had the carburator at a mechanic he Cleaned it , now when we push start it , it starts and bogs...

Sounds like 2 problems:

One: check battery. Bench charge it. Check/tighten connections to it and starter/solenoid. Bypass solenoid with big insulated screwdriver. Still no good? Tear down starter, probably brushes. Can turn commutator in a drill with sand paper.

Two: make Sure of spark --hold plug(s) (All of Them) to head while cranking. See hot sparks?

Ok, then, put them back in, try starting fluid. If it starts, you still have a fuel flow problem., If it doesn't; well, spray starting fluid around carb/manifold boots. Still nothing? You may have jumped timing or lifter(s) broken, etc, stuck valve(s).

If carby problem, make sure a good flow when tap On. If a vac actuated, sucked on the vac line and see. Must Flow, not a dribble--this means bad valve/clogged. Clogged once can be Clogged Again, Nothing is absolute . Remove gas cap--may not be venting.

Check carb bowl(s) Any gas? If not, tap on needle seats. If gas, you still could have clogged idle/slow jests. Any mech that "rebuilt them" would add a $3 inline filter..

Check the battery. Calcium batteries have a habit of instant failure and what you discribe happened to me on my FZ1. I replaced it with a lead-acid battery which I much prefer and that solved the problem.

• Lv 5

I've seen year old Batteries Plus batts. go Suddenly dead. And, one with light use fail in a year, too. POS batteries, U get what U pay for. I broke down and bought a new Yuasa for the Honda.

• JetDoc

Is there gasoline in the tank?

• Daniel

Did you try push starting it

• Alban6 months agoReport

Yes i did, It starts and boogs out.

I'm did you turn off the gas at the gas tank valve and forget to turn it back on

• Dimo

" ... just turns on for like just 1-2 cranks and stops again.... "

Does compression goes good and bad? no.

Does spark goes good and bad? no.

Which leaves gas. You are getting a dribble of gas into the carb, runs until the float is empty.

You are not getting enough gas, clogged gas filter, leaky gas switch thingy.

• Alban6 months agoReport

Brand new Gas Filter, I had the carburator at a shop they cleaned it, it was clogged with debris from the bad Gas, But It still wont start... :(

Is it getting any Fuel? Check the petcock and look in the tank.

• Lv 5

Suck on the vacc line, gas should Flow. Not dribble, this isn't enough.

I can tell from your detailed description that "the motorcycle" is a 1963 BMW R60. It's got worn brushes and a slightly flat spot on the starter motor armature which is why it won't really crank, and it died and won't run because the carbs need a rebuild. Specifically, the carb vents are clogged, and the floats ain't a-floatin'.

• Lv 5

I Stand Corrected; had "available" electric starter in '64. The '72 I saw Still had No electric: "An electric starter became available on the Servi-Car in 1964, making it the first civilian Harley with an electric starter, one year before the debut of the Electra Glide.[4][9][10] "

You have spark. Next check fuel and compression. If no success go see your mechanic.

• Lv 5

If it pops on starting fluid, it's gas/carb prob. If not, it can be jumped timing chain, bad vacc leak.