Kaci asked in HealthOther - Health · 6 months ago

Can I (17) get disability benefits?

I am a 17 year old girl who has anemia, migraine aura, and adhd. I am currently seeing four different specialists. Neurologist, gynecologist, hematologist, and one for blood clots/blood disorders. forgot the exact name) I am in the children’s hospital ever other week. I am being tested for a serious blood disorder(not being anemia) and/or brain tumor soon. With my anemia I am constantly tired and out Of breath even by doing the littlest of things. I feel nauseous at times as well and sometimes can fall to the ground because of how week I am. With migraine aura I am getting them sometimes twice a day and they are extremely painful and bother me a lot. Adhd, pretty self explanatory. It’s hard for me to do normal things because I am constantly tired to the point where I will fall asleep while eating. My mom doesn’t think I will be allowed to get ssi because when she tried she didn’t so she just doesn’t think it’ll work. Thought if I do have the blood disorder they think I have, my social worker said she’d help with insurance and disability things but I just wanted to know if anyone knew for sure whether or not I’d be eligible. My hematologist even told me not to stand for too long, not to walk for a long period of time and not to walk up and down stairs. Please let me know. Thanks !

• Lili

I'd say it's possible, give that the anemia and possibly the other blood disorder are really life-limiting (as is the migraine situation), from what you're saying. Right now, though, it's not really worth trying, since you're a minor who's not out in the working world.

Since you have a social worker, this is something you should discuss with her. She's much more accustomed to dealing with this kind of thing than most people here would be. When the time comes, you should also consult an attorney who is experienced with helping people get disability.

That your mother didn't get it is irrelevant. These things are decided on a case-by-case basis, and presumably, your medical issues are not the same as hers.

You might be able to. It’s easier to get it as a minor. You may lose it when you turn 18 though since the adult requirements are stricter but maybe not.

• Carrie

I think because you are under the age of 18 you can't actually get disability benefits it has to be your parents applying for it. Personally, I don't think you would receive benefits. Most disability benefits are for very very sick people, liver failure, cancer, blind, deaf, paralyzed, etc, someone who cannot work to earn money for themselves that is what disability benefits does they help you out as you wouldn't be able to work or provide for yourself. So no I don't think you would really be eligible because your a minor and not making and income or even paying taxes yet.

When you are an adult, you can receive disability payments based on your inability to work. You do not have to be a low income individual to qualify.

SSI is supplemental security income. It's a form of welfare and available to children and adults who are disabled. The income limit is very low but based on each state so there is no way to tell you specifics for your area.

- To be considered disabled as a minor (under 18), "the child has a medically determinable physical or mental impairment or impairments which result in marked and severe functional limitations". Not being able to stand for walk for long periods does not likely qualify, especially if there is not corresponding learning disability.

When you are 19 or graduate from high school, whichever is earlier, SSI will then be based on your inability to successfully succeed in the working environment. Additionally, if your disability is expected to last more than 12 months, you may be eligible for SSDI (a separate program that is not welfare based).

• Kaci6 months agoReport

Thank you very much. I appreciate it

most likely not...its hard for people to get that....get a ...you aren't physically handicapped so don't be ungrateful and act like you are

• Kaci6 months agoReport

First of all no one said I was physically handicapped. There are many kids who can walk fine and have it due to a disease or disorder. It was just a question I wanted answered you didn’t have to be rude. Also never said I wasn’t grateful. It’s people like you who never understand what it’s like.

it depends on your income

• Kaci6 months agoReport

My mom is a single parent and my father doesn’t pay child support.