Is it my fault? Do I deserve punishment? Must I really be treated this way?

I work in a fast food restaurant and one night I was feeling really sick. After my shift I told my shift manager to help me find someone to fill my shift the next next day so I don't need to go to the trouble of calling in sick the next day. The rest of the night I caught a fever and it was physically painful... show more I work in a fast food restaurant and one night I was feeling really sick. After my shift I told my shift manager to help me find someone to fill my shift the next next day so I don't need to go to the trouble of calling in sick the next day. The rest of the night I caught a fever and it was physically painful for me to even talk.

Fast forward 2 days later I get a text from my boss asking where was I because I was late for my shift. I told her that I talked to my shift manager about it and how she said she'd help me and how I assumed I didn't need to go to work but my boss said I was the one responsible for it and how I can't assume that. She then proceeded to call me (and note that I could barely whisper) and said how it was my fault and went off about how pissed she was about this.

She then ASKED me to still come even though its a food place where I could possibly infect someone else and I was going to break the rules whether I went to work or not (Food safety policy vs dependability/always having to show up no matter what) so I just chose to say I couldn't.

Now she is giving me 2 punishments when I should only be receiving 1 (1st time not showing up is documentation which will possibly affect my future and 2nd is suspension from work. I got both) and this is all over a misunderstanding.

Should I have followed up the next day? Is it really my fault? Do I deserve to be treated this way?
Update: If you have the time please read my new question. Thank you!