Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 6 months ago

Can parents tell their 17 year old daughter what she has to wear?

I mean she's a young woman and not a child anymore so she can make decisions on her own...?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Well sure, they can tell her whatever they want, but she doesn't have to listen. I've never been a teen girl, though, so I really wouldn't know how 17 year old girls even think.

• 6 months ago

I would say if the 17 year old can purchase her own clothes with her own money she has earned, she should be allowed to do so. However, sometimes at 17 a girl does not know what is APPROPRIATE to wear to certain places, and her parents should guide her. My daughter is only ten and thought pajama pants and high heeled shoes were a good choice for grocery shopping. I guided her back to her room to change. Also, more seriously, sometimes teenage girls don't read the dress code for school or school events and every year there's a story about girls being sent home from prom for not meeting the dress code, so I think it's the parents job to help.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Technically yes but by that age, you as the parents need to be letting go. When she turns 18, you can't.

• John P
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Indeed not "tell", but on a few occasions maybe "suggest" if the choice looks seriously wrong.

• 6 months ago

It's unusual for this to happen, but yes. Most parents let their children wear what they want in the middle of elementary school(2nd grade ish), but as long as you are living under your parents roof, it's their rules, although almost all 17 year olds where what they want, which most parents are okay with, unless it's too extreme.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lita
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Asking if someone can do something is asking if they have the ability to do so. Her parents will always have the ability to tell her what to wear. She will always have an ability to ignore them.

If you're asking if her parents are allowed, as in do they have permission, to tell her what to wear they do. At seventeen she's still a child and she's still under their roof both things are reasons that they have the legal right to tell her how to dress.

• Not if she has her own money and buys her own clothes, no. Anyone who says otherwise deserves death.

• 6 months ago

There's never an age where your parents won't tell you what to do, especially if you're doing something of which they disapprove.

• 6 months ago

of course she is a child

• edward
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes. If she wants to go out naked i’ll tell her exactly what to wear

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Can they? Of coures they can, they are her parents. I think you mean SHOULD they.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.