P asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 6 months ago

How can I make this ugly table more attractive?

My husband bought it at a second hand store and it is just beyond ugly. I did what I could with the chairs I reupholstered them and put padding and painted white on the inside of the chair but I have no idea what to do with the table. I thought about painting it and I don't think that's a good idea. And I'm afraid to start refinishing it because I think it's particle board.

Don't give up the paint idea - check out what all you can do with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - look on Pinterest - it's not smelly or messy to use and it cleans up with soap & water. Your table will no longer be ugly and will rise to the level of your creatively improved chairs!

Have some fun, how about a cool stencil and a really eye popping color?

Those are cool chairs, love the white insert.

There are paints that would work for a tabletop. That table looks like it is a laminate or formica-type top. There is a counter top paint that I used on an outdated formica bathroom vanity top. It worked so well that I it surprised me how well it worked. Maybe white would be your color choice?

First, you must use primer, then a roller to roll out the counter top paint. I believe I used Rustolium brand paint. Look it up for your consideration.

Otherwise, I would leave the tabletop just as is and paint the base of the table white.

Change the chairs. That style of table need a much simpler style of chair.

I think it looks nice. You are right about particle board but ifit is still in good condition, I would leave it alone. I would just wax it.

• elhigh

Just cover it with a tablecloth. There's nothing you can do to it that won't make it worse; if you already perceive it as bad then there's really nowhere you can go with this.

Why not just cover it with a nice tablecloth?