Ngoc asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 6 months ago

Is wind speed/direction, temperature, humidity the same on the same street? If I walk along Green St, then weather conditions are the same?

• Dirac

Not necessarily. In particular, you may find large differences on calm nights and early mornings. I live on a hill, when I walk my dog down the hill on a calm, cold, morning, it gets noticeably colder. Occasionally I'll measure the difference by taking a thermometer with me, and it's possible to see 3 or 4 Fahrenheit degrees difference in 100 feet or so. The relative humidity will also change along with that temperature difference, although the absolute humidity may not.

It's also possible to have large differences in wind speed and direction dependent on topography and vegetation. As an extreme example (and a somewhat greater difference than just walking down the street), I live in a small town that has a large elevation difference across it. When Santa Ana winds blow, I have seen the wind almost calm at my house, while they are gusting over 50 mph just a couple miles (and 500 feet of elevation change) away from me at the city center. Also, it occasionally snows at the eastern edge of town (2700 feet elevation), while it never snows at my house (1300 feet), just few miles apart.

No. Ever seen rain showers?

not necessarily.

Wind direction and speed can change due to buildings and trees in the way.

If the wind is from the south and you are walking along a street with huge buildings on the south side, you would be protected from the wind and speed of the wind.