Can Diabetics Include Pizza In Their Diet?

The main thing a diabetic has to worry about is the amount of carbohydrates they consume in the food they eat. Most vegetable toppings don't have a lot of carbs, and meats have very little carbs if any. The biggest problem area in terms of carb count for pizza is the crust. Opting for a thin crust is the best bet for pizza as it is lower in carbs than the thicker crusts. I would have the pizza for lunch if you're on a daytime schedule and at dinner if you work nights and eat lower carb at other meals to balance your total carbs for the day.

Bitter tea, fish oil, cucumber. Insya Allah help. Allahu akbar ! Viva Indonesia !

Yes. Take enough insulin to cover the carbohydrate content of the crust. If you have pizza highs, adjust your dosage. I didn't use to have potato highs, but I know how to adjust my insulin dosage for potatoes. The high fat content in Mexican food I still haven't figured out, but I don't eat Mexican that often.

Type 2 diabetics might have problems.

Source(s): Type 1 diabetic since 1955 - 64 years and counting. I was 2 years old.
  • Shay

The main issue is the crust. Meat has no carbs. There are so few vegetables on a pizza that the carb content from those would be minimal. This leaves the cheese and the crust as the main source of carbohydrates.

Making the choice to have thin crust and NOT add extra cheese would help reduce the carbs from those two items also.

Pizza Hut and many other pizza places have websites that list their calorie and nutritional information including the carbohydrate content of their pizzas. Most of their thin crust pizza choices have 12 carbs or less per slice.

Depending on what your doctor has recommended as a per day and per meal carbohydrate intake, you could easily have two or even three slices of pizza for a meal if you had made sure that your other carbohydrates for that meal are very low and your overall carbs for the day are reasonable.

• SABRINA

Cheese isn't really a high carb food, it's mostly fat and protein.

I am type 2 diabetic and I do eat pizza but not often but I have to plan my carbs for that day, if I had a sandwich at lunch then not advisable to have pizza for evening meal but once in a while wont do any harm

Diabetics should always be much careful regarding what they include in their diet. It is also true that the diabetics may be able to eat their favorite junk foods. No wonder, they may also include pizza in their diet in moderation with salads.

Read More

• Lili

Consult a nutritionist. This is REALLY not the place for a diabetic to get dietary advice.

Pizza is not a great item for a diabetic diet. As far as take-out pizza as concerned, you really would need to limit consumption to a small slice of thin-crust pizza. It would be best to make your own toppings to ensure you're not consuming anything you shouldn't.

It's possible to make your own "diabetic pizza". This is where a nutritionist can help.

sure ........................