Is it safe to leave a laptop in sleep mode instead of switching it off at the end of the day?

For a few years now, at the end of the day, I just leave my laptop on and it turns itself into sleep mode when not used after 5 minutes. I don't know if this is a safe thing to do, instead of switching the laptop off altogether?

Actually I read that having laptop in sleep mode overnight is better than switching off because it doesn't wear the laptop's battery as much.

Favorite Answer

Either way is fine. Your battery's health will only be effected if you allow it to drain all the way to 0. Sleep mode is fine, but I would have it connected to a charger or laptop dock. As Joe mentioned, you need to do reboots for Windows to refresh and install updates every now and then.

It depends on what level of sleep it is going into.

If it is just blanking the display, then everything else is still running, and you are using up the battery. But the typical action on "close lid" is to hibernate. In hibernate the system writes all the memory (and some other stuff) to a file on the drive, and then turns the system off. When you open the lid, the system wakes up, sees it was hibernated, loads the file it wrote to the drive, and continues on from where you were.

In terms of battery hibernation is the same as turning the system off.

It will take up space on your hard drive with a file that is about the size of your system RAM. So if you have 16GB RAM, and only a 128 GB SSD, then that hibernation files takes up an eighth of your drive. (but who has 16GB of RAM and only 128 GB of storage)

If you go into the Windows system power settings then you can check what the "close lid" action is.

• Rayal

Sure. There is no reason to shut it off except to save electricity. Put it to sleep and close the lid.

Yes. It's fine. My computer does it too.

• Joe

Almost no difference from a wear-and-tear standpoint. "Sleep" will let the hard drive spin down, and the fans should stop.

Windows does need to re-boot now and then for best performance, but that's a separate question.

ok so I work with computers for a living. it is perfectly safe to do this as long as the computer can breath. dont put it in your backpack or a case when it is in sleep mode.

the turning on a computer is the hardest thing on the components, it is when most components fail. sleep mode is a low power running state.

Yes. My husband does that all the time.