Visiting US but customs says can be barred for visiting too much. Any way around this?

My niece got married last summer and her husband came to visit the US from England for 3 months on an ESTA. He went through second customs and checked out fine. He went back to England on time and this year he is on his way back to the US to visit my niece again for a few months and then go back. During customs, he... show more My niece got married last summer and her husband came to visit the US from England for 3 months on an ESTA. He went through second customs and checked out fine. He went back to England on time and this year he is on his way back to the US to visit my niece again for a few months and then go back. During customs, he was told that it would look suspicious to someone else if they saw that he is visiting every summer. He and my niece are trying to get time together (since they're married) every summer on break from their University studies. The man in customs told him that he could end up getting barred from the US doing this, even though he's gone through last summer and this summer. He recommended that my niece's husband find a different option next year to avoid suspicion but didn't offer any options. Is there something they can do? Is this really a big deal, considering he went back on time and will this time as well? They plan to get a marriage visa at some point but have to come up with the money to do so.