Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 5 months ago

How to talk to neighbors about new fence?

My neighbors have a chain link fence on the side we share. It is an old fence and they said the other side of it fell down year’s ago. According to the survey, their fence and driveway are on my property by about 2 inches. I’m not worried about 2 inches of yard space at all, I just thought I’d mention it. Anyways, when I bought the house I added a wooden fence on the other side and now I would be like to finish it all the way around my yard. How should I go about talking to my neighbors about this? I would be paying for it myself and I would even remove their chain link fence because I doubt they would want two fences up against each other. I’ve lived here for 2-3 years now and we’ve talked a few times and usually wave when we see each other outside, but not always. I’m also very shy and feel awkward in every social interaction lol. I’ve been putting off finishing the fence for a while now due to anxiety about talking to my neighbor as well as laziness, but I would really like to finish it this summer so I can let my dogs run free in the yard without being tied up.

Keep it simple and friendly, and allow them plenty of time to take it in. Don't expect the whole thing to be settled in a single brief exchange. Just give them the general idea of what you have in mind, and ask them to give it some thought in case they spot some problem you're not aware of.

Don't go ahead until they've got back to you.

Firstly, leave your house, then knock on their door and say "I'm getting a new fence." Depending on the response you have 2 options. If the response is positive then great, go and buy a new fence. But if not, sleep with his wife.

Tell them you want to split the cost 50/50. They may spring for half, but if they refuse, your building it will make them believe they're getting something free!

• drip

Go talk to your city hall first. They will have rules about fencing, and can advise you how to proceed.

grow some balls and go talk to them. bring your survey. wanting your dogs to have a completely enclosed fenced yard is a perfectly good reason to finish the fence all around. also... reclaim your property, according to the survey. never give and inch!!!

*******

and btw... you're supposed to put the 'pretty' side out. you get the ugly side.

https://blog.fenceauthority.com/fence-etiquette-wh...

• y

Sorry, but the best solution is to go knock on their door, and talk to them. That is the first step, see what they have to say and such about such a project and placement of it and such. If they balk, then you find out about bylaws and such and go about it with all the proper permits and such. Going that route, you'll most like lose more land and driveway and such. So trying chatting first.

First find out how far your town will allow the new fence to be away from your property line. If you have to be, say, one foot inside your boarder, you do not even have to have a talk with your neighbor because their chain link fence can stay put while you build your own fence. So, do check the town's fence regulations before you talk to your neighbor.

You can very well give your neighbor a choice. You can state that you are finishing up your fencing job and can either put the fence next to theirs or remove their fence, free of cost to place your new fence in the chain link fence location. Giving them a choice allows the to feel in more control. Although none of this is even necessary because you can build your own fence next to theirs without saying a word, as you do not need their consent or permission. Howsoever, you are very neighborly and kind to want to discuss this with them prior to moving forward. Good communication makes good neighbors but fences make GREAT neighbors.

plain English works fine

If the fence is on YOUR property, your neighbors DO NOT have a fence, YOU DO.

You politely INFORM them you will be upgrading YOUR fence. It can't hurt to be ready to produce the survey.

You will really have to talk to the folks next door about your plan for a fence. You can't just put another one up without having some kind of discussion. If you go ahead and do it, and don't say anything to your neighbors, that will create an unpleasant atmosphere, which won't go away. Next time you see each other outside, take that opportunity to say something like, "Do you have a couple of minutes to spare?" That should be an easy intro to a fence discussion. You don't have to use legal terms, or anything remotely official. Just say what you plan to do, and then ask them, "What do you think?"