How to talk to neighbors about new fence?

My neighbors have a chain link fence on the side we share. It is an old fence and they said the other side of it fell down year’s ago. According to the survey, their fence and driveway are on my property by about 2 inches. I’m not worried about 2 inches of yard space at all, I just thought I’d mention it. Anyways,... show more My neighbors have a chain link fence on the side we share. It is an old fence and they said the other side of it fell down year’s ago. According to the survey, their fence and driveway are on my property by about 2 inches. I’m not worried about 2 inches of yard space at all, I just thought I’d mention it. Anyways, when I bought the house I added a wooden fence on the other side and now I would be like to finish it all the way around my yard. How should I go about talking to my neighbors about this? I would be paying for it myself and I would even remove their chain link fence because I doubt they would want two fences up against each other. I’ve lived here for 2-3 years now and we’ve talked a few times and usually wave when we see each other outside, but not always. I’m also very shy and feel awkward in every social interaction lol. I’ve been putting off finishing the fence for a while now due to anxiety about talking to my neighbor as well as laziness, but I would really like to finish it this summer so I can let my dogs run free in the yard without being tied up.
14 answers 14