Can you become a lecturer in law without being a lawyer? What certifies you as a lawyer?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

An insurance or accounting expert can teach law related classes in law school...I've seen it.

• 6 months ago

Yes. But you need to complete the graduation in law.

• 6 months ago

Graduating from law school and passing the state bar exam.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Not really. You only need a bar exam for a license to practice law, not to teach. Thousands of lawyers never get a license.

• 6 months ago

If you want to be a lecturer in law for that you must have first earned an undergraduate degree, a Juris Doctorate degree from a law school, once you earned your undergraduate degree from any law school you have to clear a bar exam after clearing bar exam you can practice the law and that certifies you as a lawyer

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Anyone who graduated from law school is a lawyer. Only those who pass the bar exam become licensed attorneys.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

To be a lawyer you need to both graduate from law school with a Juris Doctorate (JD) and pass the state bar exam for the state in which you want to practice law. A law professor does not have to be a practicing lawyer or to have ever passed the bar, but they will need a JD degree. Since law schools are graduate/profession programs, all the students also have bachelor's degree, so, no, a college graduate would not be hired to teach other college graduates as a law school instructor.

• 6 months ago

Law school & passing the Bar Exam makes you a lawyer. Not sure about the other part of your question.

• Casey Y
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Don't need to be admitted to the bar to teach law...

• ?
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Well, you need a law degree to be a lawyer, and whilst I don't know the hiring policy of every single university, I would be surprised if they hired a lecturer without at least a law degree, and preferably with a decade or two of experience under their belt. University courses usually require a high degree of knowledge on the subject, and at the very least you need to know more than the students.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Maybe. If the topic is about something else related like medical conditions that are beyond the scope of law school which may be important in legal cases but then you'd have to be a doctor to be qualified to lecture on that.

To be a certified lawyer, you must pass the bar exam.

• 6 months ago

Can you become a law lecturer without a degree in law? Seriously?

• Antonio6 months agoReport

Not what I asked - read the question again properly...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.