Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 8 months ago

Dealership sold me car with mileage but is now asking me to sign a new bill of sale with mileage exempt. Should I sign it? Is this sketchy?

Update:

It's a used car, so it has 100K miles on it, and that's what the original bill of sale says. I understand that if it has that kind of mileage, then the car is automatically "exempt." I guess I'm wondering, if that's the case and they both mean the same thing, why does it matter that I sign a new one? How does that benefit them? Will that negatively effect me?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Dan B
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

The document is required by federal law in all 50 States to be filed in order for the finalization of the sale and allows the buyer of the vehicle to apply for registration (along with the Title and Bill of Sale and any other required forms).. Both must sign if BOTH agree to the information that is presented on the form. You should have been presented with the form at the time of sale so that you know what the mileage is at the time of sale, not later.

https://eforms.com/odometer-disclosure-statement/

• Login to reply the answers
  • nt
    Lv 6
    8 months ago

You left off part of the question. It seems. My experience has been mileage is exempt on exempt cars even if you list the actual miles on the bill of sale. (Because of the age of the car)

The manager probably just wants the paperwork square to cover them in the event you sue them for the miles saying exempt on the title.

Should not make any difference if you sign it or not.

Squaring their paperwork is not "sketchy". The salesman should have informed you the mileage was "exempt" from reporting requirements. But I doubt you would win a lawsuit over something like that.

• 8 months ago

Don't sign it. Check with your state's DMV to find out what is the correct mileage.

• 8 months ago

If you paid for the vehicle already do a Carfax check on it. There is no reason to sign anymore paperwork if you already paid for the vehicle and have it in your name. If it has more then 100,000 miles on the odometer it's already exempt.

Maybe they found out that the speedometer or instrument cluster was replaced and the odometer was never recalibrated to the actual mileage in which case you should get a huge refund or get an attorney to sue them.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • bo
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

no don t sign it

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

I would not do that. I answered wrong the first time. DO NOT sign the new papers. If they rolled the mileage back illegally, the only way you could prove is is with the original paperwork.

• TheReal
      Lv 5
      8 months agoReport

No reputable dealer would ever roll back mileage. The fines and lawsuits wold cost them dearly, a new car dealer will lose their franchise, and typically, a dealer dealer would likely lose their sales license. All of these penalties are not worth a few hundred dollars gained off of a single sale.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.