Jane asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 6 months ago

If you fired an anti-tank rifle straight up, could the bullet leave the Earth?

If no, are there any guns that could fire a bullet into space?

Update:

Wow. People must really be passionate about this, cause most of the comments have crazy dislikes lol. even the good answers have a lot of dislikes and I don't know why. Anywho, thx for the answers everyone!

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, no gun today has a muzzle velocity of 17,000 MPH, needed to escape earths gravity.

Guns with the longest range are 25 miles at best, and that is not even half way out of the atmosphere.

Now the US navy has been playing with the rail gun, In tests, projectiles are out to 100 miles, and mach 7 velocity, that would stand a chance of putting a bullet into orbit.

Somewhere I did read of one specialized gun, R&D at Sandia labs shooting a projectile as fast as 10 miles per second,,I would think a man made meteorite and burn up in the atmosphere.

NASA has long been using air guns simulating micro meteorites.

• 6 months ago

Strait, up would never work!!!

No matter how fast, (ignoring other planets, etc.) eventually it would stop then come back down.

You must fire the bullet at an angle so it would attain orbital speed and orbital curve.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Why not use laser technology as a weapon application instead of massive projectile that can only work against gravity and friction to get through the atmosphere to it's target.

• oldschool
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Laser light encountering particles (dust) disperses. Lasers are magnificent devices but high power units require large generators.

• 6 months ago

No, to both questions.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Even a Rail gun could not do that!

You have failed Physics 101 In the school for half wits!

• F
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

I believe the big gun approach to space launches has been well researched and shown to be a non starter.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Basic physics teaches that it will go straight back down.

• 6 months ago

Nope. There aren't any that have enough energy to overcome the drag and gravity.

• 6 months ago

No. Escape velocity is roughly 7 miles per second. That is 5280 x 7 feet per second or roughly 36,000 feet per second. There is no gun made that can do that.

• 6 months ago

dont know about earth but could kill a man so it is dsngerous

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.