Air conditioning and the electricity bill?

Mainly looking for opinions here, but here’s the story. So I live with my boyfriend and his family. They hardly evee run the air conditioner and we live in south Florida so I’m sure you can imagine that makes the house absolutely ridiculously hot to the point of sweating. The most time the air usually runs is while... show more Mainly looking for opinions here, but here’s the story. So I live with my boyfriend and his family. They hardly evee run the air conditioner and we live in south Florida so I’m sure you can imagine that makes the house absolutely ridiculously hot to the point of sweating. The most time the air usually runs is while we sleep at night. At most it stays on about 8 hours at a time but sometimes it could be as little as 4. The other times it comes on is about usually 3 hours during the day when it’s hottest in the house. However, it often gets turned off in about 30 to an hour by his mom if she realizes it’s on (if we even get that lucky). She tends turn it right off as soon as it’s on. We also keep a fan running constantly due to how hot it is and I don’t think that helps too much with the bill and to me leaving the air on seems the best/cheapest option.

So here’s my question.The air covers literally only half the house as well. Just our room, kitchen, dining room, and the living room. I was told the electricity bill was $700 or so. I personally think these people are full of sh** when the air barely comes on to begin with. I’ve never had an electricity bill that high even when air runs constantly. So what’s you guys opinion? Do you really think the bill was actually $700? I’m really not buying it and I’m tired of hearing about it so just looking to see what y’all think.

Side note: The heat in the house causes bugs even huge roaches and has mad lizards too.