Air conditioning and the electricity bill?

Mainly looking for opinions here, but here’s the story. So I live with my boyfriend and his family. They hardly evee run the air conditioner and we live in south Florida so I’m sure you can imagine that makes the house absolutely ridiculously hot to the point of sweating. The most time the air usually runs is while we sleep at night. At most it stays on about 8 hours at a time but sometimes it could be as little as 4. The other times it comes on is about usually 3 hours during the day when it’s hottest in the house. However, it often gets turned off in about 30 to an hour by his mom if she realizes it’s on (if we even get that lucky). She tends turn it right off as soon as it’s on. We also keep a fan running constantly due to how hot it is and I don’t think that helps too much with the bill and to me leaving the air on seems the best/cheapest option.

So here’s my question.The air covers literally only half the house as well. Just our room, kitchen, dining room, and the living room. I was told the electricity bill was $700 or so. I personally think these people are full of sh** when the air barely comes on to begin with. I’ve never had an electricity bill that high even when air runs constantly. So what’s you guys opinion? Do you really think the bill was actually $700? I’m really not buying it and I’m tired of hearing about it so just looking to see what y’all think.

Side note: The heat in the house causes bugs even huge roaches and has mad lizards too.

I live in South Florida. It's insanely hot and humid every day. Tropical weather is not the best, all day every day. The parents are lying to you guys. I run my AC unit at 68 in the daytime and 66 at night all day everyday. My bill is 130.00 it's that high because of laundry. Everyone who says you can live without AC in South Florida don't know what they are talking about. Those disgusting palmetto bugs love a hot humid house. Leave the lizards because they will eat the roaches. I feel for you. Save up as much as you can and move to a cheap efficiency. No bill is $700 that's half the rent! Unless they fail to pay on time, FPL charges a lot of money for that. They should be running the AC. Show them the bugs and tell them their house stinks. Fight to put that AC on. Definitely try your best to get out of there. $700 would be what they did before you moved in. In South Florida you need AC 24/7. Theres no point in trying to save money or electricity because it doesn't matter.

$700 sounds about right

A $700. electricity bill does seem excessive, but we really do not know how many people shower and use electricity in that house.

May I suggest that you and your boyfriend either get jobs or if you have jobs, why not pay half of the electric bill so you can keep the air conditioning on? I dare you to offer to help pay a bill. At least this way, you can actually SEE the bill for yourself.

In my house, we went on an electricity diet. I changed all bulbs to LED light bulbs. We do not keep our chargers plugged into an outlet unless they are being used. You see, when chargers are plugged in, they draw a current even when not used. So, if you have, say, five people in the house with computers, cell phones and other electronics, you are all drawing electricity and wasting it, so, UNPLUG chargers, all of them....or, put them on a power strip and then turn off the power strip when not in use.

In the main living room area or where you hang out, set up a lamp on a timer to go on at dusk and off around bed time. This way there will be light and everyone is not turning lights on and off and on again, which draws more electricity than keeping a light on. Put LED night lights in hallways and bathrooms and even your bedroom so lights do not need to be turned on and off again so you can navigate around at night.

Only wash clothes in cold water. If possible, set up a clothes line and air dry some clothes that dry quickly. Set the dish washer on air dry. Take shorter showers. Stop using a blow dryer.

For small meals, use a toaster oven rather than the stove oven as that and a microwave uses less electricity.

Get curtains to block out the sun rays, keeping the house cooler. Caulk any cracks around windows and doors. Check them to be sure they are completely closed.

We did all of these things the day our electricity billing cycle began and we saved $40.00 in one month. I gave my two children $20 each when the bill came to congratulate them for their efforts and then told them that because we KNOW it is possible to lower the bill, that from now on, if the bill goes up, they will owe me money. Funny how when I asked THEM to contribute to the bill, our electric bill was lower.

If you are old enough to be living with your boyfriend, then I am going to assume you are an adult. Being an adult while living in someone else's house means you should be paying rent or at least be contributing to the monthly bills. It is expensive to run a household. This is a fact of life and if you want to have air conditioning, then pay for it yourself.

why don't you and your boyfriend get out of their house?? go find your own place and run the a/c night and day. as long as you're paying the bills you can do whatever you want.

actually, i lived in florida for about 5 years in a small community south of miami. i never had air conditioning and i worked outside. spent my days on the beach or sailing whenever i could. spend more time outside so you get acclimated to the humidity.

• y

What else is going on that uses electricity? That all comes into play. When my adult son moved out, the bill dropped $100.00 a month. Something like the air condition(central air) wouldn't really be all that impacted by him. So it means his other activities. We do have well water, so fewer showers and such would probably have the biggest impact, as well as cloths washing and such. But still, that's a lot.

The air you say only comes on in certain parts of the house? Unless the rest is sealed off and insulated, it would still be trying to cool the air in those other areas, that will make it run more, harder, etc..

• Ashlee8 months agoReport

I agree! But trust me when I tell you these people are most definitely not that logical in the slightest! They are straight up a** backwards! No joke!

quit possible.....................

It is not $700/month as you describe it.

• Snezzy

Easily that much. Could be a faulty A/C system, too, using so much electricity to do a lot of nothing or even to try to cool the Great Outdoors.

Best for you two to move elsewhere, or find a way to make so much money (like $5000 a month or more) that the cost of the A/C is trivial.

Going "cheap" means sweltering in the Florida steambath that only pretends to be civlized. There are people out there who can easily afford good A/C. Figure out what they do. Then do that, assuming it's honest.

• Rick B

Then move. Why would you live like that?????? If you can t or won t move, then spend more time at work or out of the house.

• Ashlee8 months agoReport

Well wise guy, I can't move. I'm already struggling as is. Hopefully we'll leave soon. However, I was looking for opinions on how much a power bill should cost. Not about my life choices. Thanks though.