Lucy asked in HealthMental Health · 5 months ago

Boyfriend says im wasting time rewriting notes..?

I'm doing my notes for my exam just re-writing what I already know trying to sum it up and "soak it in better" whilst talking to my boyfriend on phone. I then asked him "have you ever been in situation when you write notes and it's all written so nicely and neat and then you mess up one word and you feel like ripping the paper off?" with giggles, then he says that I'm just wasting time if I'm rewriting just to rip it off and I should ignore that messed up word and just study, to which I answered "I already know most of it, I'm rewriting because it helps me get stuff stuck in my head that way, I have time to write so I'm not wasting any, especially with all words written neatly.. it's kinda like an ocd thing" to which he said "u don't have ocd. You are wasting time and should study instead, you have a major problem if you think you'll study better like that. I'm surprised you dont know how much of a concern that is." I just said forget it..

Is it really a problem? I dont have OCD but imagine a chocolate bar and a circle is cut in the middle and eaten. I think it's pretty common aswell, not necessarily meaning you have ocd. It would be annoying but I doubt concering. I usually don't care about such stuff but when I do my notes it needs to be perfect, but that's just me. He had ocd but he doesn't react to stuff at all unless it's pointed out. is wanting to rip a paper off, where everything is written neatly and then there's one word written really badly, a major problem?

Best Answer

rewriting your notes is beneficial there has been studies done that show writing things down helps to reinforce information into your brain and rewriting is the same thing. If that is how you have always studied and it works for you, why is it suddenly a problem now? Different things work for different people. As for the ocd thing, many people get the same way when rewriting notes or when you were a kid a coloring a colored outside the line and just wanted to start over. Its less ocd and more perfectionism...everyone has a slight problem with that unless you have very low self standards.

• Lucy5 months agoReport

Right?? I also think it's more perfectionism than OCD i just couldn't remember it right away while i was talking to him because he went off really quickly saying how it's a major problem. Sometimes i seriously don't get him but hey, thank you for answering! Have a nice day

That is how you get A's! In the book "Becoming a Master Student" that is the key detail that they recommend. You will go very far as a student if you continue to re-write your notes. They book is very expensive now, like $100 but it is worth it. When I entered college is was a required text. Best book I ever read.

You are right, rewriting can make it stick better in your mind. The act of writing adds more information for your brain (tactile), than if you just reread alone. That extra sensory information gives more avenues for the neural linking. If you use different colors, that will help too. Granted, not a whole lot, but some.

• Lucy5 months agoReport

Yes, highlighting with different colors and rewriting has been my way of studying since elementary school. It helps! Thank you for answering, have a nice day

If your boyfriend does care about the simple things then how can he care about the more complicated things and times you guys will share? Ask yourself that

• Lucy5 months agoReport

You have a point! I will take this in consider next time he goes off! Thanks for answering, have a nice day

• Dr. D

By rewriting your notes you are reinforcing the contents into your brain. You ll remember the information better by rewriting them. A person who simply reads his notes is using less of his senses.

The real proof of its value is in your grades. If your grades are good, then rewriting is working for you.

• Lucy5 months agoReport

Exactly! Everyone has their own way and that's mine! Thank you for answering, have a nice day

SOME people remember better IF they write it down ................................

• Lucy5 months agoReport

Say it louder for the people in the back..🙌 have a nice day