High-level languages are easier to use, so why would a programmer want to have a program in low-level language?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • EddieJ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Are you really asking why someone should bother learning assembly language?

Even if you never use it for a real program, learning it will give you a better understanding of how computers work.

Meanwhile, are you familiar with writing subroutines? If so, all of the subroutines that you have written were probably in the same high-level language that you've been learning, but a high-level language can call a subroutine written in a low-level language.

So, you don't have to make a choice to write 100% of a program in the low-level language.

However, most programmer don't have a reason to actually write such code because if there is a common need then a library of subroutines can often be purchased.

Of course, *SOME* people *LIKE* the challenge of writing low-level code.

Also, I have modified assembly language programs written by someone else, so I didn't write the whole program, but only the part that needed changing.

• 6 months ago

Yes. You need to learn them.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Someone has to program the compiler. Every brand of needs a new compiler. Not everyone has Intel™ Inside.

Cheap microwave oven $50. Cost of Windows license $200. Mass produced gadgets have to be very cheap. Everything has to be cut out.

Digital watch. Tiny battery lasts 2 years. Program has to be very simple.

Special instructions to interact with hardware devices on the mobile phone. Gyroscope chip. Thermometer chip. Camera chip. All done at very low level then data passed to higher level.

Car : Looks like headlights.

Attachment image
  • 6 months ago

My test of any language is to program a button to eject a sheet of paper from the printer. That s 18 bytes of machine code (it was 12 bytes as a DOS batch file) up to tens of megabytes in some HLLs.

• husoski
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Who has a printer that still does ASCII? My Epson MX-80 dot matrix died nearly 30 years ago! With a modern printer, you need lots more since a lot of the logic that used to be in printer firmware has moved to drivers on the computer.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Joe
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

In a word: "performance".

You can write tighter code in a low-level language than is possible in a high-level language. Identify the critical section, re-code it for efficiency in assembly language, and you'll get more performance.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.