How do highly populated cities fit that many people in?

I live in Sydney, Australia and have never travelled overseas. I was wondering how cities in Asia and around the world have populations up to or more than 4 times Sydney's population of 4.8 million. How do they do that, living in Sydney for most people means heavy traffic and public transport packed to... show more I live in Sydney, Australia and have never travelled overseas. I was wondering how cities in Asia and around the world have populations up to or more than 4 times Sydney's population of 4.8 million.
How do they do that, living in Sydney for most people means heavy traffic and public transport packed to overflowing and standing in long queues for everything.
Many people like me have no choice but to use public transport as even a short drive of 12km to where I work would take 60-90 minutes, and that's with paying a $4 toll on the motorway, and I know many people who travel a lot further than me to get to work.
What do other cities do differently that they don't do in Sydney to fit all those people in? Do they have a larger land area? Do they have more people living in tiny apartments in 180 storey tower blocks? Do they have wider roads and larger train stations? Are their people very tiny like hobbits? And how do they manage to provide water and electricity to all those people, in Australia everything is stretched to the limit all the time?
Just asking, do not judge me, I am not monster I am mammal like you.