Tips for a beginner vegan?

Okay, so after a while of wanting to, and a lot of consideration I am finally deciding to go vegan. I’m so happy that I’ve finally decided to make this change. However, I live in the South (Alabama) and I don’t have very many vegan options besides the few things Walmart offers and Publix when I’m feeling fancy. There’s no Whole Foods, or any of that. So what are some tips for a beginner vegan that y’all have? Can I make do with what I can buy at just Walmart and Publix? Do I need to order online? And how can I stay committed until my meat and dairy habits are broken?

Base your diet on the ingredients rather than pre-prepared food, so for example yeast extract, fruit, veg, seeds, grains, nuts and so on. You could also order B12 supplements. Make sure you get plenty of sun.

Being a vegan teen stuck in a small town, there aren’t many options, but I’ve still made it work! I got started by just taking a simple approach and eating foods I liked that didn’t have animal. I found I really like to make vegan Indian food. It’s not as hard as some make it seem, and just do your best! If you slip up don’t make a huge deal, just learn from it and grow!! Veganism is great

DO NOT GO VEGAN.

Veganism is malnourishment.

• Randi4 months agoReport

You should do a little more research on veganism before making a claim like that. I think it might surprise you how many benefits a vegan diet can have for your body and for the planet :)

• Jerry

You don't need any fancy-dan stuff from Whole Foods, just the beans and greens, roots and fruits, nuts, whole grains, pasta, and vegetables you find at Piggly Wiggly or Ingles. You'll have to get used to actually COOKING instead of relying on canned or convenience foods.

• Darcie

Hi,

Please don't let the mean non-vegans get to you. They should read up more on veganism themselves and go vegan. If we vegans were to treat non-vegans the way some of them treat us, they'd soon complain.

Anyhow, you could read "Living Vegan for Dummies" by Alexandra Jamieson. The "fact" that the author is no longer vegan herself does not erase the information in the book. Anyone who could watch "Earthlings" and not go vegan is, possibly, insensitive, uncaring and un-concerned with ethics. You could also watch Bitesize Vegan, That Vegan Couple, Freelee the Banana Girl (be warned: as much as I like/love her, she can be aggressive), Joey Carbstrong and Earthling Ed. Also, you could get a few vegan cookbooks off Amazon Smile, supporting good, ethical, animal-friendly causes.

Thank you.

May you, everyone you know (both human and nonhuman) and all other sentient beings be perfectly well, healthy, happy and safe forever.

Best Wishes to all,

Rory.

Have the best day and night ever!

Possum is not vegan. Eat acorns and poke salad. Watermelons are good when in season. Stay committed by not giving up.

step one; avoid anti vegans. They are usually bullies and spread misinformation.

I've been a vegan for over 5 years and never had a problem

This couple has a lot of great tips

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE9ZKGuHAz4S9y89u...

• Louis

I think once you start looking you will be surprised at how many "vegan options" there are. but a lot of those "vegan options" are just stepping stones or "crutches", eventually to be abandoned by the more experienced vegan.

One of the "vegan options" that I rely on is plant milk. I would be surprised if your local grocery store doesn't stock plant milks. But just in case it doesn't, you can order plant milk online. It is delivered in what is called Shelf Stable Redi Pacs. That means that it doesn't have to be refrigerated until you open it.

Light Vanilla soy milk is my favorite. you should try a few brands, plants, and flavors till you find one you like. None of them taste exactly like milk. But no matter, you will get used to it. Plus any kind of milk used for cold cereal or smoothies tastes about the same.

The other vegan option you will probably be able to find in the grocery store is tofu. Tofu is great but there is a bit of a learning curve in learning how to make it the way you like it. There are some great online resources for tofu. Or you can get a vegetarian or tofu cookbook from the library or book store.

While you are at the store you might check to see what there is in the freezer section. There should be a few surprises there. but plan on being disappointed with things like vegan hot dogs.

The main ingredients in a vegan diet is stuff that every grocery store has. Fruits and veggies, grains, nuts, and seeds.

One way to stay committed and happy is to invest some time and energy into cooking. Pick up a vegetarian or vegan cookbook. Some of the vegan cookbooks have themes. Like quick and easy. or one pot. of inexpensive meals. Find one that appeals to you. You won't even have to cook every night. Many meals can be made in batches and frozen and then just reheated.

• Wendigo

found in other parts of the store, as well as in the frozen fooods section of the normal stores.

I would suggest moving to somewhere like California with the rest of the avocado toast munching, pomegranate crunching, liberal fùcktàrds who would actually go vegan. The south have way too many proud meat and potato eating folks for your dumbàss to handle.

• blahhh6 months agoReport

I’m dumb, yet you’re using accents over every ‘a’ you type.