promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Dia asked in EnvironmentOther - Environment · 12 months ago

Does anyone agree that the use of plastic straws isnt the real problem with the environment but,the production of the straws is the problem.?

Obviously there are 4577434 other problems with the environment but this is just one i wanted to get others opinions on.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Yes they should be replaced with something more environmentally friendly, but what exactly? We got along just fine for so long using paper straws so why can we not go back to them? So many drinks available now would be impossible to consume with a paper straw, the Asian milk teas, frozen slushie drinks, smoothies, juice drinks with lots of pulp, thick shakes, anything in a tetra-pak, etc. Would be great if somebody could come up with a paper or cardboard straw that is rigid enough to last until I finish my drink before collapsing. Of course the government could just ban the production of those plastic straws but for many businesses those frozen slushie drinks are literally the most profitable item and the only thing that keeps their business going, in summer they sell hundreds of them every day. Same goes for plastic takeaway containers and shopping bags, there has got to be an alternative, if I have to pay an extra 20 cents for a rigid cardboard straw I would gladly do that.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 12 months ago

The production of straws follows the use of them. They wouldn't be produced if they weren't being used.

But the whole thing is overblown - at least as far as straws go. They are a miniscule part of our waste stream. The real issue is the enormous amount of garbage we produce. Not just straws but everything else.

Replacing a plastic straw with a paper straw is close to pointless. It's just a way for people to feel like they are doing something without giving anything up. If you want to help the environment, ditch both the straw and the cup, and use something reusable.

• 12 months ago

Straws themselves aren't the problem. The problem is that our culture has spawned people who care so little about the environment that they use straws when hey really don't need them, and then just discard them where they stand, rather link a gorilla dropping **** where it stands.

• Jas B
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

Before we had plastic straws, they were made of paper, you can still find them if you look hard.

They worked perfectly well and if we returned to their use, one environmental problem would be solved.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    12 months ago

that's what professional politicians do, they pass pointless bills that use to both Prove AND Deny their support of a cause. IF the tree-huggers complain, he points to this worthless bill as PROOF he's supporting their cause. when the regular normal people complain, he points to the EXACT SAME BILL as PROOF that he supports THEIR cause by side-tracking all the environmental furor by passing the lightest smallest cheapest bill possible. talking out of BOTH sides of this mouth at the same time while alienating NOBODY .............

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    12 months ago

No. The real problem is in the recycling. We ship plastics to India for recycling and they chop it all up and throw it into the rivers that flow to the ocean. They don't have the environmental laws we have. And it costs too much for us to recycle it in the USA.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.