Keyfob getting stuck in ignition when turning off car (2008 Volvo S40)?

I just started having an issue where we would turn off the car and the key will get stuck in the ignition when trying to pull it out. I did a quick search online and someone said to turn the wheel a little bit and that seemed to work. So I got it out finally after doing that but I kept starting it back up and retrying it and almost every time it would get stuck again while turning it off. Sometimes the wheel turn would work, other times it wouldn't and I would just have to keep trying to pull it out on it's own and it would come out.

What is going on and what can I do to stop this from happening? Not having any other issues with the car besides this, no error message or anything on the display. Again, it's a 2008 Volvo S40 automatic. Thanks in advance! Please keep in mind I'm not very car savvy.

EDIT: Ok so update.It did this for the first time last night and it did again again when my wife got to work this morning.But when she got home today, it didn't do it and hasn't been doing it a few times after when I tried turning it on and off? Could this still happen if it's a bad ignition switch?

make sure the gear stick is in park (P) my wifes volvo v40 used to do the same thing until I put in park

what has happened [2 possibilities]

A. there is a cable interlock to the transmission shifter that prevents key removal [and subsequent locking of the steering column] this adjustable.

B. as the ign. lock wears the locking bolt wont move without assistance [lock must be removed from column to test for this] depending on what the customer wants to do I either replace the lock assembly or manually push the locking bolt back as I turn the key then drill the lock cylinder for a 1/8 inch roll-pin. [column lock now defeated,

but ignition key free to turn to all positions including removal position. the lock function of the key remains intact as well as the shifter interlock. the steering wheel will no longer lock

note if the release button on the shifter does pop back all the way when released your symptom will occur and dissappear. spray wd-40 into the release button and work it a few times to ensure it's freedom of movement

• Ron

Graphite spray

• JetDoc

Hey BOZO... The KEYFOB is the little dangly thing that holds the remote control buttons for your door locks and other stuff. The thing that's getting stuck in the switch is an IGNITION KEY!

• jagsfan058 months agoReport

Oh ok, my apologies. No need to be rude and use name calling though.

I have a spare key and it had the same issues. Again, I can get it out after several attempts but it's happening every time. I've heard you shouldn't spray anything like WD-40 ,etc. on the keyfob (it's plastic) or inside the ignition keyspot because it could be bad and do more damage, so I'm hesitant to try that.

Do you have a spare key? Keys sometimes get worn, and if you don't use a spare key often, it may have retained more of the original pattern shape. If not, get some graphite lubricant, and squirt some in there. You can find at a hardware store, it's designed for use in metal locks.

• jagsfan058 months agoReport

I have a spare key and it had the same issues. Again, I can get it out after several attempts but it's happening every time. I've heard you shouldn't spray anything like WD-40 ,etc. on the keyfob or inside the ignition keyspot because it could be bad and do more damage, so I'm hesitant to try that.