dominic asked in PetsReptiles · 6 months ago

found a box turtle and rescued it from a dangerious area, how do i tak care of it?

it was in my front yard but the area I live has heavy traffic and lots of dogs in the neighborhood. I found picture of the turtle on the internet when I tried to research turtles in my area but I couldn't figure out the name of its breed.

• Ocimom

Its an Eastern box turtle. I had several of them as a teenager. We kept them in a garden that was surrounded by bricks (about 6-7 bricks high) and they ate worms, hamburger, tomatoes. I had a large pan that was put in the ground and filled with water. Not too deep as box turtles cannot swim (technically they are a land tortoise). Change the water often.

• oikoσ

Not that dangerous. People tend to avoid hitting turtles (not so for snakes, which many drivers swerve to hit) and dogs can't do much damage to a box turtle that size. Release it where you found it.

I would take it to a woods somewhere and set it free. Or even a public park.

• Susie

All your county or state wildlife dept and ask where to relocate it.

Dominic