k asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 6 months ago

What are the qualifications for adopting a child? How much does it cost?

Later on in life, Im thinking to adopt a child.

do they check the living conditions of the adoptive parent(s)?

Do you need to have a partner for adopting? or can you be a single parent?

They prefer married couples, yes they check living conditions, finances, criminal record, credit bureau etc. They also prefer younger parents with a lot of life left- rather than people over 40. It's very expensive & takes a long time. My niece waited 4 years after being approved to get her baby.

• Kelly

Depends on the adoption type and where you live.

I adopted as a single parent through foster care, cost me $200 for a new birth certificate for her. I got married a few years later and my husband adopted her too, again $200 for a new birth certificate to add him. We also adopted a little boy together through foster care. Adopting through foster care is very minimal if any costs but often children available for adoption are over 3 years old. My daughter I've had since she was a newborn, my son was 4 years old when he was placed with us.

Other adoption types like direct placement can cost a few thousand, mostly legal fees. Direct placement is when you know the birth parents or are connected to them directly by someone. Domestic infant/newborn adoptions can be $20,000+.

All adoptions require a home study. A home study consists of a criminal background check, fingerprinting, a financial disclosure, 3-5 references, interviews with you, a physical from a physician, parenting classes and a physical inspection of the home.

Most domestic infant adoptions the birth parents choose the adoptive parents and being single can be a disadvantage. Many want to place their baby in a 2 parent home. However, some can and do choose a single parent.

• LizB

Depends on where you live, if you want a single child or could take a sibling set, and if you want a healthy newborn or would be open to older children and/or fostering, as well as children who may have significant health issues (mental or physical or both).

depends on many factors, private adoption of an infant costs 10s of thousands of dollars as does foreign adoption.

if you are adopting an older child or abandoned baby through state child services, it is less expensive and of court they check conditions. the fact that you are asking raises red flags that you wouldn't have a decent home for a child.

single parents can adopt.

you need to be able to FINANCIALLY support a child, if your career will be a walmart subway, not likely you will be approved to adopt on your own.

Where do you live? That will change the answers by a lot.

In the US, it's expensive unless you foster-to-adopt (which is usually not an infant). Yes you will have a background check, your house will be checked, they will need references, etc. It's a very thorough investigation.

Yes, you can be single. But if you want a newborn, it may be harder to find a bio-mom who will choose a single parent. Then again, it may not.

• Tavy

No charge in the U.K., they check your home and background , single people do adopt.

Ffsfhh