Do you agree with the BBC changing its policy on over 75s' TV licence?

I do. It's mad giving people free telly just for having an old person living with them. What else? free wifi?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • F
    Lv 6
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The government have done well here. Everyone knows blanket payments to pensioners regardless of wealth is not a good use of resources but to cut or stop them is a certain vote loser. However in this case, the BBC is getting all the flak.

• John P
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

As a 72-year-old, with state pension and reasonable (though not huge!) work pension, I feel that £154 a year is a good amount to pay for the service from the BBC, it is far less than my council tax and energy bills etc. I am certainly glad that those on low incomes will get free TV licences.

• 6 months ago

what are you talking about?

• Jas B
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

1.9 million of the British people living in poverty are pensioners. Almost 1.3 million people in England and Wales aged 65 or older are carers.

These are people who worked all their lives, paid taxes and now when they find themselves caring for others and dealing with the illness and disability which comes with old age,you want to take away what for many is their only companion and link to the outside world.

Shame on you.

• 6 months ago

It was never the BBC's policy to fund free TV licences for over-75s. The government transferred the burden of funding this benefit from 60 million payers of various taxes to the BBC and 25 million licence payers like myself. That is analogous to transferring the burden of funding the winter fuel allowance to the customers of the energy companies. The BBC has responded to the government passing the buck by limiting the benefit to over-75s in receipt of means-tested pension credit. That seems a fairpolicy.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

and there goes the voice of a selfish arseole

• 6 months ago

Why even have the telly-tax since most people have cable and satellite now. BBC ain't the only game in town anymore.

• ?
      Lv 5
      6 months agoReport

...Says the person from the English Midlands - whoops sorry - Washington DC, USA (ahem..).

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

No, I don’t think it is a good idea, but little about the bbc is good these days.

• Sigmond
      Lv 4
      6 months agoReport

It was the government that cut funding for the concession.

• 6 months ago

How much does that BBC chairman receive in wages.

and how many people does it take to report news, because opening scenes of the BBC news show at least hundred all playing games on their computers

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

No I think it's disgraceful when they are paying the likes of Linekar nearly £2 million a year and he's just one of many. The BBC should be abolished as it's totally biased, or it should pay it's own way without people having to pay a licence fee.

• 6 months ago

I shall be dead when you reach the age of 75 but I'll laugh from my grave at you. Why? Because you have absolutely NO idea about the elderly or the loneliness they suffer. What on EARTH makes you think, child, that elders live in the bosom of loving families. Most live entirely alone and are lucky to speak to someone once a week. TV is vital for them, and, in a country that couldn't give a rat's behind about old people, I don't think it's a lot to ask for lonely old people to be gifted free TV.

By the time you are 75 compassion for others is going to be well and truly dead, as you all stare into your electronic devices and 'care' is provided by artificial intelligence. What price your "me, me, me" then. You are a horrible thoughtless person and you'd do well to grow up.

• Joel6 months agoReport

i`m 30 and i love how funny yahoo answers can be, it makes me laugh so much

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

The BBC is globalist propaganda and needs to be defunded.

• Joel6 months agoReport

LIKE THE YOUR PRECIOUS ROYAL CRAP

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.