How much RAM does system use really?

I have 3x 2GB ram which makes it a total of 6GB. But my system uses about 1.5GB... is it normal? Or is it just me?

Update:

I have 3x 2GB ram which makes it a total of 6GB. But my system uses about a whopping 1.5GB... is it normal? Or is it just me? Most system will use about 15% only right?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Who
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

it uses what it needs to use

• 6 months ago

it depends on the OS you are running and how it was built

older windows versions, when ram was SUPER expensive, will have very little ram usage but will have much high disk usage. An example is windows xp, you can easily get windows xp down to less than 500mb of ram usage without it being slow.

try that with windows 10 and it will be incredibly slow.

Windows 7/8/10 use most of the ram but as a cache. meaning it stores the last used programs in ram even if they are closed, it counts as non-in use ram when it does this as the system will release the ram when a different program requests more ram then is free.

there is something called virtual memory which uses a portion of your hard drive/ssd as ram. this is much slower but it is very easy to get additional ram when you need it. in your case you should have 5gb or so virtual memory on your main drive.

if you disable virtual memory you system will exclusively use ram which in some cases will speed up the computer but in others will cause it to crash if you open too many programs.

linux tends to cache everything it can if you have enough ram, but they are also much lighter so use less ram.

the "right amount" of ram is the minimum for the OS to function

but most people will need more than that because they use different programs on the machine.

i personally would add an extra 2gb stick so you can keep your dual channel working as you currently have that broken.

• 6 months ago

You have just 1.5 GB data, so it shows it and it only shows the used data.

Attachment image
  • 6 months ago

Your computer will access RAM as and when required. If it does not need to access it, then it will sit as available, if it has accessed it and free'd it up or is predicting that it will need to access it, then the RAM is prepared and sits as Cached RAM. The only time you would need to be worried is when you do not have sufficient RAM. That is when over 85% of it is being used. The system will need to constantly clear the RAM in order to assign it to newer or more important tasks.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Fulano
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Just watch the RAM usage in Task Manager, you'll see how much they need.

The older 32 bit OS's would only use about 500 MB of RAM when nothing was running. Right now Windows is using about 2 GB on my machine, including a virus scanner which use a lot of RAM.

As you run more programs and bigger programs, you'll need more RAM to run them. It doesn't help speed to have a lot of extra RAM, but if your system goes past what you've got installed it will slow drastically because the computer will use the hard drive as virtual RAM, and it is much slower.

So yes, it will save you a lot of money to watch your RAM usage and only buy what you need.

• 6 months ago

That's like asking how much water does a household really use? It is going to depend on the household. Is it two people or a family of six? Do they waste water or do they conserve water? Likewise with a computer, how many background processes does the computer have running? How many apps are open? What OS is running?

• 6 months ago

There are several uses of RAM when running. Some systems have shared memory for video system. That might be not very much. Then the operating system (Windows something?) will use the RAM to get started.

After that, programs you use will start taking memory to run. More programs, more is used. Pages of Internet view are usually in a hard disk file, but some more recent views might be in RAM for quick access.

As you see, there is a great variety of amounts of RAM used, depending on the hardware, the software, and the operator's activities. There is no set amount which is "right". If the hardware memory like RAM chips starts to get overloaded, then Microsnot's Windows will start sending pages of memory to the hard disk as a way to keep things going. But a hard disk is about 100 times slower than RAM. Some systems have an SSD that is almost as fast as RAM, some have a hybrid drive that is both hard disk and SSD.

• 6 months ago

modern browsers cache lots of material [video clips are the worst] and will quickly use up all the ram you have.

I have 8 Gb and sometimes get the 'low memory' warning

• Fulano
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

It's getting crazy... Firefox with a couple gmail tabs and yahoo answers will usually use about 1.5 GB of RAM.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Your PC needs to dedicate some RAM to properly run.

• Sivdev6 months agoReport

Question updated.. is 1.5gb normal or is it supposed to be less than 1gb?

• 6 months ago

Your system will use as much it wants don't question it or there will be consequences

• Sivdev6 months agoReport

isn't less than 1gb the right amount? or just me?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.